Make DRL Turn On With Parking Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Man, love your thinking! Definitely looking for any progress you make.

A word of caution: I don't know how long those tube LEDs are going to last, so you might want to keep that in mind. Can the LEDs be replaced when they burn out?

Those conserns are why I dislike the tubes, and/or halos.
I will definitely update the thread when I get around to doing it, probably won't be for a while tho.

As far as the LEDs, they are sealed in the housing. They can be replaced, but not easily. It would require disassembling the housing and desoldering/replacing the individual lights on the circuit board. As for longevity, I would expect them to last a very long time. LEDs have an extremely long life, it's usually the resistors that fail. Some manufacturers use the cheapest possible components, which often means using an undersized resistor which will eventually burn up and cause the LEDs to stop working.

FWIW, I've had the matching set of tail lights installed for over a year now and they're still going strong.

20230510_192300.jpg

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine into my turn signals (parking lights) that way they come on when I hit the fog light button. I drive around like that most of the time with just the LED bars and fog lights on.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score
UPDATE: I finally got around to installing the new headlight housings over the holiday weekend, and I gotta say, I'm thoroughly impressed with both the look and light output/beam pattern at night. I kinda rushed the installation and ended up using the tap splice connectors that came in the box (yes those dreadful things). It's only temporary until I complete the rest of the wiring. As of now, the LED bars are wired into the DRL circuit so they only come on during the day or when I unlock the doors with the keyfob. I still need to integrate the parking light circuit so they'll come on at night too. I decided to use a 5-pin relay instead of diodes like I originally planned. I'll attach a drawing of what I'm thinking, and a few pics of what they look like on the truck. I'll post another update when its all finished.
Happy new year everyone! :party33:

1000010923.jpg1000010925.jpg1000010926.jpg1000010927.jpg

Attachments

• 1000010927.jpg
    1000010927.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019