HID with DRL on Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lakaw

Reaction score
Yes you can just get a relay and run the DRL/lows w/o removing the sensor fuse. The only issue with that is that your HIDs will always be on as long as the truck is. Expect them to last nothing over a year.
If I had a yukon I would just run some wire to the fogs off the light connector pins on the back of the headlight on the Yukons and just use my fog lights as DRLs.

Although I replaced my fogs with HID's as well. I would still like to know how to do this (plus the fog bulbs are a little easier to get to). Do you know which pin controls the DRL's?

manzgator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to play catch up on all of the technical details. Being a newbie sucks.

Questions apply to 2010 Yukon

1) From the previous posts it appears that when you upgrade to HIDs and you do NOT want your DRL on you have to pull the fuse, is this correct? Once you do this you just have to manually turn on your headlights?

2) Is there a cost/benefit on where you get your conversion kit from (HIDGUY v. SpencersHIDs)? Pricing seems similar with HIDGUY about $30 less?

3) Is there a thread "for dummies" on the step-by-step install process?

Thanks in advance, guys. I really want the upgrade, but I don't want to invest and have them running all day long. I'll keep searching for information as well.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run HID's then you disable the daytime running lights by pulling the fuses under the hood. The reason is the daytime running lights are powered at a lower voltage and your HID's will either work (sometimes) or just have one start or sometimes both will fail to light. Pulling the fuses does NOT disable the automatic feature so when the sun is going down your light will function as they always have.

Yes, I learned this the hard way even though I had read the posts.....but I learned.

May I suggest DDM Tuning for your lamps.....I got my 5K, 55 watt setup from them with the high/low lamps as well for $65.00 with lifetime warranty. No brainer there.

lakaw

Reaction score
I purchased my hi/lo HID kit from DDM as well. I bought my fog HID's from SpencerHID as he has the 25w ballasts and that will ensure me that I won't have any melting issues with my fog enclosure. If you plan on upgrading your fogs, I would recommend you upgrade both at the same time. Although it's not as difficult as it may seem to pull the front clip, you'll be saving time by doing both.

I pulled my DRL fuse as well. I think I pulled #33 (Black box under the hood on the drivers side).

Here is the thread I used to guide me when I did my upgrade. Some of the pictures are a bit blurry, but you'll get the idea.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470

manzgator

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You both nailed it. Thanks for the input. I'm going to order asap and post pics when complete. Stoked!

Actually, I see that Lea, you have the 55 Watt 5000K and Lance you have the 35 Watt 6000K. Is this just personal preference on the color of the bulb? Also, on Bulb Type there are about 20 different types ranging from H1-H16, 9004, etc. Which type should I get for the Hi/Lo kit for a Yukon?

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited:

lakaw

Reaction score
You both nailed it. Thanks for the input. I'm going to order asap and post pics when complete. Stoked!

Actually, I see that Lea, you have the 55 Watt 5000K and Lance you have the 35 Watt 6000K. Is this just personal preference on the color of the bulb? Also, on Bulb Type there are about 20 different types ranging from H1-H16, 9004, etc. Which type should I get for the Hi/Lo kit for a Yukon?

Thanks again, guys.

Yes wattage and color are personal preference... You'll need the H13 hi/low kit. I added the harness for $12.50, but I'm not sure I needed to, since the kit ships with a harness included. Needles to say one harness worked, while the other would not (wromg connectors). I'm not sure which harness was the correct one, so hopefully someone will chime in and offer up some advice. Or better yet, you may want to contact DDM directly for clarification.

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered mine from DDM I called first and they told me I did not need the harness for my 2007 Yukon XL. If a different model or year I wold make the call just to make sure. They were great to talk with and very friendly and helpful.

Bryansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my H13 HI/LO kit from DDM and addes the harness as well, although as Lakaw said, I'm not sure it was necessary. You NEED the harness to install them, but I'm not sure if the corresponding harness comes with the hi/lo kit default. You do NOT need a harness for the fog bulbs, not do you need to pull the front clip. Just turn your tires and take off the 2 screws (7mm??) and a 2-3 clips, and you got really easy access to the fogs just by moving the plastic out of the way. Mine took 20 minutes to install (fogs) and you just stick the + - spade connectors into the factory cable.

lakaw

Reaction score
...nor do you need to pull the front clip...

The reason I pulled mine was to get full access to the fogs for install and to find an optimum location for the harness run from the right to left across the front end. I had full access to clean the areas inside the bumper where I mounted the ballasts(double-sided tape). It's only a few more screws(14?) to remove the clip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo