HID retrofit w/TSX projectors: walkthrough w/pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig them up.

If you go with a true HID retrofit like mine, you'll be using D2S HID bulbs, not a standard bulb converted to HID.

As for reliable ballasts, I only use Morimoto from the retrofit source. Never had an issue, but they are more expensive up front.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
]But if I get a good ballast it will be able to power most all bulb types correct ? Also any other good sources for bulbs and ballasts I should look at?

2004 Z71 Suburban Green I have a few upgrades done.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yes, ballasts are universal. You may or may not have to get a connector adapter for the bulb depending on what you do, but that's easy and cheap.

brian.roberts.1293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some good sources to look at for hids and ballasts. So if these hids are 55 watt do I have to stay 55 watt or can I use a different power ballast? Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I need some good sources to look at for hids and ballasts. So if these hids are 55 watt do I have to stay 55 watt or can I use a different power ballast? Thanks for the help everyone.

You can use 35w, which is the standard OEM wattage for HIDs. I wouldn't go higher than 55w personally. The higher the wattage, the hotter they get and I have melted a couple of lenses with 55 watts. Also greatly reduces bulb life as you step up wattage.

Your current bulbs should work fine with 35w but you might lose a few lumens.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com

That's pretty much exclusively where I buy from. You get what you pay for with HIDs.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score