Hey Guys, I need some help with my K&N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I installed a cold air K&N filter system for my 2004 Denali XL and after I installed it I keep getting my service engine light coming on. I pulled the code from the computer and I got a P0101 mass or Volume air Circuit range/ performance Problem. So I Called my friends from Napa and they say its because of the K&N and the temp gets to cold here in ND for that set up. Is there any way around this because I spent a ton of Money on the K&N and I dont want to remove it. any help would be appriciate. Also would any of you gus know where the fuel filter is located on my 2004 GMC Yukon Xl Denali? Thanks

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You probably have oil on your MAF. Clean that and check all your fittings for leaks. Your fuel filter is on the drivers side along the frame.

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
You might have to get the computer reflashed with a different transfer function for the MAF, but I highly doubt that is your problem. K&N would not sell a filter if you had to re program or alter any other vehicle parameters without letting the buyer know firsthand. Make sure you plugged the connector properly or that you didnt accidentally damage the MAF filament. As for the fuel filter it should be on the driver side frame rail, if its not there then it will be in-tank, and part of the fuel pump module assembly. Hope this helps!

**Beat me to it Jenna!! lol

OP
OP
Reaction score
Hoping

About two weeks ago I recharged my K&N with the supplied cleaner and oil, so I pulled it apart again and pressure air blasted the filter from the inside of the filter first and then blasted from the inside out hoping to blow any oil residue that was left over. I also checked the Mass Air flow sensor, and I did notice some oil residue on the 1 of the 3 resistors in the unit so I cleaned that with a lint free cloth and used very low pressure compressed air. I plan taking a 400 mile trip tomorrow So I hope I dont see the CES light becaus hat always raies my blood boil.Thanks again guys

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

About two weeks ago I recharged my K&N with the supplied cleaner and oil, so I pulled it apart again and pressure air blasted the filter from the inside of the filter first and then blasted from the inside out hoping to blow any oil residue that was left over. I also checked the Mass Air flow sensor, and I did notice some oil residue on the 1 of the 3 resistors in the unit so I cleaned that with a lint free cloth and used very low pressure compressed air. I plan taking a 400 mile trip tomorrow So I hope I dont see the CES light becaus hat always raies my blood boil.Thanks again guys

I also checked every where for that stupid filter and I couldnt find it, is it maybe hidden some where under the vehicle' thanks
m

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, based on what you described, sounds like you may have messed up your MAF. You are only supposed to clean it with MAF cleaner and it is VERY fragile. Go see what codes you can get pulled when the light comes on again.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suppose to use a product like this and NO compressed air at all!!

Attachments

• CRC_MAF_Cleaner.jpg
    CRC_MAF_Cleaner.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Reaction score
Suppose to use a product like this and NO compressed air at all!!

Ran great this morning, no service engine light, was actually getting great mileage, I was getting 16 MPG driving at 80 miles per hour. How will I know if the MAF if ruined because the light stayed off and we drove it for 3.5 hours?

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Ran great this morning, no service engine light, was actually getting great mileage, I was getting 16 MPG driving at 80 miles per hour. How will I know if the MAF if ruined because the light stayed off and we drove it for 3.5 hours?

Also the compressed air is the air thst is used for cleaning computer keyboards & cooling fins, I hope that this would be fine. Please let me know if I fuc&ed up or not. Take care guys. Jonathan

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N also reccomends not to use any compressed air on their filters. You are supposed clean it and let it air dry totally. Then lightly cover the filter with oil.

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the light don't come back and your truck feels good your probably okay. The guys are right about the air dry only. You have to be careful with the maf. I have never messed with the Tahoes but I used to clean with windex and q-tip lightly on a thunderbird I had. The product Rivieraracing posted would be the best method. Good luck

Your fuel filter is on the drivers side along the frame.

My 04 does not have a fuel filter anywhere along the drivers side frame? I can;t find it anywhere!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj