Finally Installed K&N CAI in 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
[Before/After videos are on their way, but not worth waiting for, as the kid who started it for me to film couldn't take his foot off the pedal after the swap]

Finally swapped the stock for the K&N today. Noticed:
1. Slightly better sound at startup/idle, a wee bit grunt-ier, but not a game-changer.
2. Couldn't tell if I had better low-end or if I just wanted it to be better to match the claims some have made online.
3. Definite improvement of grunt, both sound and power, at full throttle and through the gears.
4. My gearhead friend who did most of the work couldn't believe the acceleration ("My dear, it's only to help with towing...har har....") in a 3-ton SUV.
5. I can't compare it to the MIT rig, which I haven't driven, but I'm very happy with the present setup.
6. Unbelievable amount of underhood space was opened up.
VERDICT: Worth it, excellent value, even. Do it!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see the videos, please. As far as I know, the 2013 Yukon Denali already had CAI as a stock build (draws cold air from the tire/fender well and not warm air from the engine compartment). If your KN CAI is now drawing air from the engine compartment, you now do not have a CAI, but instead, you have eliminated it.

I'll wait to see the videos before forming a final opinion.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you are experiencing a placebo effect my friend. Until you get a tune, you aren't gaining any power. In most cases, you are losing power due to heat soak. That being said, get you some headers to accompany that intake then find a good tuner and you will see a decent increase in whp/tq.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally swapped the stock for the K&N today. Noticed ...
Do you still have the OE intake?
Ask your stopwatch to compare the OE cold air intake to the K&N intake.
Then show us and your gearhead friend the results.

For truly honest results the way to do this A-B-A-B testing, is to drive around with each intake for a week to give the ecm a chance to adapt to the intake, BEFORE testing with the stopwatch.
Most who test aftermarket intakes don't retest a week or so later to see how the ecm adapted.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Placebo effect applies, no doubt. I knew going in that would be the case. I'm just going to have fun at this point, and concentrate on a proper tune some time later. It's like many car mods: they aren't always the "best" choice, but they make the owner happy in the meantime.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
I want to see the videos, please. As far as I know, the 2013 Yukon Denali already had CAI as a stock build (draws cold air from the tire/fender well and not warm air from the engine compartment). If your KN CAI is now drawing air from the engine compartment, you now do not have a CAI, but instead, you have eliminated it.

I am all but a luddite when it comes to video tech, so be sure to breathe while you wait.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

I believe you can use the stock airbox with a k&n filter and use the k&n intake tube and see gains over an open intake/heatsoak.
I have always had spectre/k&n intakes and never seen a huge gain until I did the exhaust and a tune to match with it. This new truck of mine has a s&b intake which is closed box and sucks air from the factory fender hole/cold air
I definitely like the s&b over the k&n and the only reason I got the k&n was because it was a steal at 100$ I couldn’t refuse

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you can use the stock airbox with a k&n filter and use the k&n intake tube and see gains over an open intake/heatsoak.
I have always had spectre/k&n intakes and never seen a huge gain until I did the exhaust and a tune to match with it. This new truck of mine has a s&b intake which is closed box and sucks air from the factory fender hole/cold air
I definitely like the s&b over the k&n and the only reason I got the k&n was because it was a steal at 100$ I couldn’t refuse
Yes. I have the Airaid MIT, which is essentially a polished tube (inside) to connect the stock CAI air filter box to the engine intake. I use a Wixx filter.

I purchased this at the recommendation of @BlackBearPerf as a way to clean up and remove the OEM intake tube with all of its noise reduction baffling, while still maintaining the OEM CAI air filter box. I do get a bit more intake 'noise' with it when I punch it, but it is cool.

Airaid MIT.jpg

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[Before/After videos are on their way, but not worth waiting for, as the kid who started it for me to film couldn't take his foot off the pedal after the swap]

Finally swapped the stock for the K&N today. Noticed:
1. Slightly better sound at startup/idle, a wee bit grunt-ier, but not a game-changer.
2. Couldn't tell if I had better low-end or if I just wanted it to be better to match the claims some have made online.
3. Definite improvement of grunt, both sound and power, at full throttle and through the gears.
4. My gearhead friend who did most of the work couldn't believe the acceleration ("My dear, it's only to help with towing...har har....") in a 3-ton SUV.
5. I can't compare it to the MIT rig, which I haven't driven, but I'm very happy with the present setup.
6. Unbelievable amount of underhood space was opened up.
VERDICT: Worth it, excellent value, even. Do it!

What K&N model number did you go with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts