Hesitating during cranking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a minor issue when I go to start up. Randomly, instead of firing right up, the starter will crank for a couple more seconds than usual before the engine will start. It seems to happen more often after I've driven to work and leave to go to another site.

It seems minor, but I figured I'd pick y'alls brains in case it's something more.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cycle key to on several times before starting. May lead to a new fuel pump.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
" It seems to happen more often after I've driven to work and leave to go to another site." How much time between when you park and then do a restart? May have a fuel pump going bad that may be leaking down between starts. May have seepage at an injector that allows pressure to bleed down before restart.

Attach a fuel pressure gauge to system and then monitor stored pressure after you shut the engine off and see if pressure is bleeding off.

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much time between when you park and then do a restart? May have a fuel pump going bad that may be leaking down between starts. May have seepage at an injector that allows pressure to bleed down before restart.

Attach a fuel pressure gauge to system and then monitor stored pressure after you shut the engine off and see if pressure is bleeding off.

Maybe an hour or two. But sometimes at the end of a day of sitting, it fires right up no problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Intermittent problem. Need the read out pressures from a fuel gauge. How old are the tune related components? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, last time clean MAF and MAP and throttle body?

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermittent problem. Need the read out pressures from a fuel gauge. How old are the tune related components? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, last time clean MAF and MAP and throttle body?

No idea... bought the truck in January and don't know the history. I should clean the MAF anyways I suppose.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Cleaner at the parts store and follow directions for cleaning MAF and MAP. Check you tube for cleaning them and the throttle body. You need to pull a spark plug or two and post pics of them here. You may have to bite the bullet and replace what you don't know the age of. Again, need fuel pressure readings and again, watch a you tube for info about that but need readings to help further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ynot411