help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GUEWEY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 1999 yukon denali with a 5.7 in it.My gears in my rear end went out and i replaced the rear diff.it drove fine for about a week.One morning i got up to gon to and i stopped for gas.When i pulled out of the parking lot,the trucks front wheels were out of control.I managed to get it under control but,as soon as i pulled off the front started to shake and then it stopped.Something felt like it let go of something and it let me pull off but i cant go over 5/6 miles per hour.I drove it home and i noticed that when i was in the parking lot by my house,then truck would not move in drive or reverse but,i turned the wheel and something popped.Then it started to move.Does anyone have any idea of whats causing the shaking,stop then go?
D

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 1999 yukon denali with a 5.7 in it.My gears in my rear end went out and i replaced the rear diff.it drove fine for about a week.One morning i got up to gon to and i stopped for gas.When i pulled out of the parking lot,the trucks front wheels were out of control.I managed to get it under control but,as soon as i pulled off the front started to shake and then it stopped.Something felt like it let go of something and it let me pull off but i cant go over 5/6 miles per hour.I drove it home and i noticed that when i was in the parking lot by my house,then truck would not move in drive or reverse but,i turned the wheel and something popped.Then it started to move.Does anyone have any idea of whats causing the shaking,stop then go?
D
Did you happen to check ratios on the replacement unit to insure it was the same as the removed unit?

OP
OP
G

GUEWEY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you happen to check ratios on the replacement unit to insure it was the same as the removed unit?
Yes I did So,this morning I got up and put the truck completely in the air I took the front two 24's off and left the rear on.I out the truck in drive and the rear wheels spent but only the driver wheel was spinning at first.Turnt it and the passenger wheel moved but slow.I hit the gas and when I took my foot of of it,you can hear something knocking in the front differential.So,I'm assuming that's the problem

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you drive around with 4wd on regularly? your transfer case shouldn't be driving your front diff when its in 2wd so with the whole truck floating in the air it shouldn't be doing anything with the front diff to be making any noise up there. well im only familiar with the ones that actually disengage the front shaft someone correct me if im mistaken with a 99 yukon. 24s im assuming you weren't offroading 24s plus dry pavement plus transfer case engaged ya that could cause all your problems.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are 24's?? One wheel spinning in the rear with the wheels off of the ground is normal. Unless you have it in 4wd nothing should move or make noises in the front. How did you check to make sure the front differential is the same ratio as the rear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu