Help with squeak after level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just installed Suspension Maxx 1.5" front and 1" rear level. Here's how I did it:

Front: Raised, supported truck. Let front end droop as low as it would go. Removed lower strut bolts, dropped A-arms down and was able to slip the lift block in without removing anything else (took some prying here and there but I did it). Put everything back together, torqued new strut bolts to 35 ft/lb.

Rear: Jacked up the truck, supported it and lowered the axle almost to the ground (had to remove a bunch of brake lines, shock lower bolts, sway bar links disconnected at the upper bolt, removed sensors, etc.) Then removed the rear springs (the upper isolators fell out) to install the spacers which go on the axle perches and the springs mount on top of them. Made sure to put the upper isolators back before I put everything back together.

It all went back together easily. However now I have a weird squeak/groan noise when the truck's weight shifts. It's NOT when I go over bumps, just when the truck's weight shifts. If I stand on a running board and rock the truck back and forth, it creaks and moans like it's 50 years old. Not sure if it did that before but I don't think so.

Would could be making that noise? So far my guesses are:

1.) the upper rear spring isolators aren't seated right
2.) I didn't tighten the upper bolts on the sway bar links enough
3.) I damaged the front struts prying them to fit the spacers (they look fine).
4.) The rear shock lower bolts aren't tight enough

I can't imagine what else it might be. I'd love to hear someone with experience and/or suggestions.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things.....

1) is sound coming front front or rear.... try to isolate and get a dound clip for us

2) I’m almost 50...o_O

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha...no offense.

I honestly cannot tell if it's front or rear and if I could, it would help immensely. I don't think I could get a clip of it from the inside because it's so faint but I'll try to get one while rocking the truck side to side.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try lubing each area separately...i usually lay under the vehicle and push from there...or have someone else rock while you move around.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sway bar bushings? All of the original wear points, based on the angles with the original setup and height have changed. Try lubing the sway bar bushings.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway bar bushings? All of the original wear points, based on the angles with the original setup and height have changed. Try lubing the sway bar bushings.

I will. I know way back when, when I played with Jeeps a lot, the sway bars would make horrible and weird racket unless you made the end links TIGHT. I’m gonna get under there and make sure everything is the right spec and maybe lube some stuff.

The good news is that it’s not a “clunk” like something is hitting or bottoming out. It’s just a little groan. Still annoying as hell.

I was worried that I damaged the front struts/springs by prying on them but they look ok.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you check your rear parking brake cables ? mine squeaked after my install had to adjust them so they don't rub and squeak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne