Help with clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H8 PVMT

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Yukon, 200k on her. Recently I've been feeling and hearing a clunk from what I believe to be the front suspension area of the Yukon. A couple things:

1. No noise while driving, meaning I've listened for any constant noise while driving to see if a bearing might be going out but it's quiet with the windows down at low and high speeds.

2. I've had the truck up on jack stands and inspected for obvious signs of wear using a pry bar and hand to wiggle things around for excess play. The only thing I've found is the left axle moves in and out more than the right axle, not sure what that means but it was noticeable

3. I've aligned the wheels and replaced the shocks.

4. I've inspected the UJoints and they are in good shape.

I'm left wondering what is wrong. I've come up with a worn bushing somewhere, ball joint or axle.

Can anyone help with some advise or input? I don't want to take it to a shop, too much $$, hopefully I can figure it out and fix it.

Yukon96

Reaction score
Does only do it when you come to a stop, and or start moving? If so, most likely your slip yoke,going into the trans, or transfer case needs lubing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvain_Yukon