Help! Wife wants to trade Yukon for Sequoia if..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every now and then I get a hard shift from 1st to 2nd, it's not a slip, it's more like a "kick or jolt". It also does it when going from 2nd to 3rd but not as hard as 1-2.

This can be normal depending on pedal position while accelerating, it's wanting to have enough pressure to handle a high power shift. The dealership does have the tools to properly diagnose this, they can test the TECM on and more thoroughly off the car.

If you purchase a shop manual or the ALLDataDIY subscription, you can run through the troubleshooting guide yourself to a point and bring whatever you find to the transmission guys attention. More than once I've had to bypass the service writers and go 'round back and talk directly with the mechanics to accurately convey the problem and solution sought.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys can help you troubleshoot you’re transmission. I’ll comment on the Sequoia as my wife has one, her’s is a 2014. Sequoia is ok, I guess, but it’s old technology depending on the year you get. The newer the model year, the older (relative) the technology and the worse the gas mileage (again relative) will be compared to the competition.

My take on the Sequoia overall is it’s in desperate need of an update. The interior looks 15 years old and is full of plastic. The engine was designed a long long time ago and therefore gets horrible gas mileage compared to the GM (and even Ford) offerings. Even on the day we bought ours new in 2014 it felt old. My wife really wanted it and I knew it would get destroyed with 3 kids so I didn’t care much. But now, in 2019, I don’t think I would let her get another one. It’s basically still the same. Like time stopped at Toyota or something.

My 2017 Escalade feels like it’s 20 years newer, because it actually is from a design perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hrocks

Reaction score
These guys can help you troubleshoot you’re transmission. I’ll comment on the Sequoia as my wife has one, her’s is a 2014. Sequoia is ok, I guess, but it’s old technology depending on the year you get. The newer the model year, the older (relative) the technology and the worse the gas mileage (again relative) will be compared to the competition.

My take on the Sequoia overall is it’s in desperate need of an update. The interior looks 15 years old and is full of plastic. The engine was designed a long long time ago and therefore gets horrible gas mileage compared to the GM (and even Ford) offerings. Even on the day we bought ours new in 2014 it felt old. My wife really wanted it and I knew it would get destroyed with 3 kids so I didn’t care much. But now, in 2019, I don’t think I would let her get another one. It’s basically still the same. Like time stopped at Toyota or something.

My 2017 Escalade feels like it’s 20 years newer, because it actually is from a design perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tend to agree with GTNator on the Sequoia design elements vs. the GMT K2XX platform vehicles. I still own a 2010 Tahoe LTZ that's "old but bold". Seems like after 110,000 it's just getting broken in. (By my son) Having had an '07 Escalade (with typical first model year GM growing pains) I desperately wanted to get a new '16 Escalade. After reading all of the posts on the boominess, driveline and other issues, I decided to keep the Tahoe and ended up with two Lexus GX 460's. And to GTNator's point, the techie side of things are not on par with the GMT K2 vehicles. However, from a quality and sheer driving refinement standpoint, it truly breaks my heart to say that the Toyota product is far superior. Prior to buying the first GX, I came very close to buying a new Sequoia. But for the same reasons you mentioned, I took a pass...it was just too dated both in/out. What's funny is you see people drive those things forever, however. BTW, I have NO plans to get rid of my Tahoe. As far as I'm concerned, (with all due respect to the members of this forum) the GMT900 vehicles were the best of the breed thus far. I'm curious and hopeful to see the next generation of Tahoe dirivatives. (Was the debut of the GMT 1XX vehicles delayed?)

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good independent transmission shop .......Avoid AAMCO at all costs (in my personal experience).....

Independent guys live for transmissions.

They have seen & felt everything. I can bet an independent can diagnose possibilities in 5 minutes, due to experience.
( engine rpm at time of shift ) ( also as in key off then on )
( sensor )
( lock up / torque converter )
( fluid pressure switch - like a throttle valve sticking )
( Trans mount)
( drive shaft slip)
( u-joint )
( engine motor mount)

Last edited:

esoteric_ast

Reaction score
my '98 tahoe did the same thing. could be weeks between it but it would shift BANG into second. usually on hotter days or days sitting in traffic.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

2008 Yukon with 120k.

Oil change done every 4-5k miles. Transmission oil was replaced a year ago by GMC dealership, I constantly check it to make sure it's full and clean.

Here's my problem.

Every now and then I get a hard shift from 1st to 2nd, it's not a slip, it's more like a "kick or jolt". It also does it when going from 2nd to 3rd but not as hard as 1-2.

The craziest thing is that as soon as it starts doing it, I can pull over, shut the engine off for literally 30secs, turn it back on, and then it drives perfectly.

Transmission Temp. is always within the norm. The engine is not making any weird noises and I am not getting any check engine codes. Also, no signs of leakage.

I have taken it to the GMC dealership but they can't find anything wrong. They have even done a test drive but to my luck it doesn't do it in their presence (ofcourse). They said it's hard to pin point exactly what it is because there's no check engine codes.

I'm almost sure it has to be something electrical (sensor) rather than mechanical right? If not, it wouldn't do it sporadically and reset itself after the engine has been turned off for less than a minute.

Has this happened to anyone? If not, I'll take any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance!
What is the transmission temp? when it happens

I highly suggest getting a cooler that will fix the issue..

our local metro buses have the same issue THAT thing SLAMMED so hard i thought they had an accident.. (i flew out of the seat) and nearly hit my face on the pole inside the bus..

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sequoia is like a 2006 Tahoe in terms of features. My brother drove a friend's from Naples, FL to Detroit last year. It got 15 mpg ........ on the highway....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts