Help understanding the 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Might want to have an oil analysis done. Some of your descriptions make me cringe about the future if things are up above the oil pan are not copacetic.
That is the goal once im able to keep oil IN the engine, lol.

I have to drop the oil pan and replace that gasket along with some other gaskets around the engine. Right now, it leaks around 1-2 quarts every 200miles.

Once im able to get the pan down, im replacing the sump o-ring, and i will check everything more when i look.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Mileage? Metal spirals? How small were the metal chunks? Pics? Had the previous owner just replaced the pan bolt?

My 162k miles 05 Idles at 50 psi cold and just below 40 psi warm. Climbs easily with acceleration. I have done the oil sump o-ring a while back, while pan was off. I just don't like the metal you found. Analysis is a must.
They replaced the pan bolt with an oversized stripped plug repair bolt. It’s now around 26-28MM, and the spirals in the drain pan matched the size of the threads. That is what i thought it was. I think i have a picture somewhere.

As she stands right now, cold idle is around 45-50PSI and warm idle is around 35-38PSI. Gauge is a little hard to read and is rather get a mechanical pressure gauge on it and see for sure.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Here’s one of the metal spirals. The other stuff in the pan is (some) of the metal that was in it. The bigger chunks is outside debris. Along with hot oil pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_8689.jpeg
    IMG_8689.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9931.jpeg
    IMG_9931.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat unrelated but how much driving does it take for oil to warm up completely for all of you? For example if I drive for only 20 mins or so my hot idle is closer to 33, but after maybe 30-40 mins of driving it’s closer to 30.
just whatever it takes to get the oil up to about 180, I could probably do it in a few blocks if I really tried. a decent scanner should show you the oil temp

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat unrelated but how much driving does it take for oil to warm up completely for all of you? For example if I drive for only 20 mins or so my hot idle is closer to 33, but after maybe 30-40 mins of driving it’s closer to 30.
Depends on a lot of circumstances. On a hot day it's faster warm, than in the winter. If you directly drive on the highway it's different than if you have stop and go in a big city.

But when the coolant is on temperature, your oil is warm too. Not on maximum temperature, but warm enough to have the viscosity it has.

cjmcglaughlin

Reaction score
just whatever it takes to get the oil up to about 180, I could probably do it in a few blocks if I really tried. a decent scanner should show you the oil temp

Depends on a lot of circumstances. On a hot day it's faster warm, than in the winter. If you directly drive on the highway it's different than if you have stop and go in a big city.

But when the coolant is on temperature, your oil is warm too. Not on maximum temperature, but warm enough to have the viscosity it has.
Appreciate the thoughts on this. I wonder if there’s any reason mine would go down a bit more on longer drives? Stepper motor?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the thoughts on this. I wonder if there’s any reason mine would go down a bit more on longer drives? Stepper motor?
You need to understand how oil pressure in an engine is created.

The oil pump, which is driven by the engine and is speed-dependent, generates oil flow, not oil pressure.

This flow of oil is forced through the filter and transported through the oil channels to the bearings. This becomes oil pressure, because at the end of the oil channels in an engine there are usually plain bearings, for example on the camshaft and crankshaft.

The oil is pressed into these plain bearings and can only escape again with difficulty.

This nozzle effect creates back pressure and thus oil pressure.

Now there are several factors that ensure that the oil pressure is no longer the same as with a new engine.

Firstly, if your bearings in the engine are already very worn out, they can no longer hold back the oil, so the oil pressure drops.

As the oil becomes more liquid when it is hot, the oil pressure drops.

When the revolution is low in idle, the pump does not deliver as much flow, so the oil pressure drops.

If you drive for a long time, the oil is of course really hot and everything is really flushed through, so your oil pressure drops to its lowest value when idling then.

But as long as your oil light doesn't come on when idling and the engine has an oil pressure that is close to the middle (40psi) of the instrument display under normal load, everything is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84