Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
i have a problem with the speakers cuttting out when the bass comes in a song if i have the radio turned up could it be the factory amp is not strong enough to handle 6 aftermarket speakers i have in my 99 tahoe i have 2 6x9s kenwoods in the roof. 2 6.5 kenwoods in the back boors and 2 6.5 pioneer in the front door with a 7in android headunit i got off amazon

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say 'factory amp' are you referring to a separate existing OEM power amp installed separate from the head unit that you purchased off of Amazon?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your factory amp only does about 50 watts i think at best. if the speakers you purchased are high watt speakers that could be your problem. peak 300w speakers with an rms of 100 vs a system that barely supplies half the rms you can end up with alot of distortion. also depending on the speakers you purchased they could also not be meant to handle bass at all. speakers fall into a hi mid and low freq range. if your pushing alot of lows to a speaker that isnt designed to handle the lows you will also end up with alot of distortion. can you post the model number of the speakers you purchased?

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
your factory amp only does about 50 watts i think at best. if the speakers you purchased are high watt speakers that could be your problem. peak 300w speakers with an rms of 100 vs a system that barely supplies half the rms you can end up with alot of distortion. also depending on the speakers you purchased they could also not be meant to handle bass at all. speakers fall into a hi mid and low freq range. if your pushing alot of lows to a speaker that isnt designed to handle the lows you will also end up with alot of distortion. can you post the model number of the speakers you purchased?
not really sure about the model numbers but im sure that they all are over 250 watts i know 2 of the 6.5 are 320w max so you might be on to something thanks alot for that now you think if i bypass the amp i should be ok cause ive seen alot of videos about bypassing it but they never said why they was doing it lol cause ive been doing research on this for like a week but cant pin point my problem so thanks for the insight

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really sure about the model numbers but im sure that they all are over 250 watts i know 2 of the 6.5 are 320w max so you might be on to something thanks alot for that now you think if i bypass the amp i should be ok cause ive seen alot of videos about bypassing it but they never said why they was doing it lol cause ive been doing research on this for like a week but cant pin point my problem so thanks for the insight
the amp itself could also be the problem so bypassing it could help. your oem or aftermarket hu will have an even lower rms output so you could be compounding your issue.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try temporarily disconnecting one or more of the existing speakers, to reduce the the power draw on the power amp, and see if the sound quality improves.

You could also try adjusting the preamp out levels on your new head unit, to see if you are overdriving the power amp (or even underdriving it, though, that alternative is not likely).

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
You could try temporarily disconnecting one or more of the existing speakers, to reduce the the power draw on the power amp, and see if the sound quality improves.

You could also try adjusting the preamp out levels on your new head unit, to see if you are overdriving the power amp (or even underdriving it, though, that alternative is not likely).
Ok yes that could be a possibility because it didn't start doing it until I replaced the front 2 speakers so I see what your saying about the overload on the oem amp and I also tried adjusting the preamp on the HU and it still cuts off so do you think my best bet is just to bypass the oem amp and getting a aftermarket amp or can I get away with just hooking them straight to the HU

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try to hook the speakers up directly to the head unit speaker out connections, and see how the sound quality is. As previously mentioned, if the OEM power amp is being overloaded by the speakers, the head unit most likely be overloaded, as well. But, it is worth a try, prior to purchasing an aftermarket power amp.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try to hook the speakers up directly to the head unit speaker out connections, and see how the sound quality is. As previously mentioned, if the OEM power amp is being overloaded by the speakers, the head unit most likely be overloaded, as well. But, it is worth a try, prior to purchasing an aftermarket power amp.
You have replaced everything except the factory amp. Finish the install properly and get a new amp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645