Help me find this oil leak please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I may have a leak due to the PCV system clogged, similar to the OP. Thinking I should tackle that. Anyone got any advice or a walk though on how to do that?

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found plugged PCV system on high mileage 02 Yukon while chasing after similar leaks. A plugged crankcase venting system will start leaking oil even in places that not typically under pressure. The 02 original driver side valve cover was caked with carbon in the vented area inside the valve cover. At that time GM had a 3rd design valve cover available with much improved venting and built in PCV valve. Also needed a longer hose. How does the inside of your vent system for the valve cover look?

Were you able to get the plugged up valve cover venting again or did you purchase the revised valve cover with the improved venting? If you were able to open up the plugged up one, what was your procedure? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John03Z71

John03Z71

Reaction score
Found plugged PCV system on high mileage 02 Yukon while chasing after similar leaks. A plugged crankcase venting system will start leaking oil even in places that not typically under pressure. The 02 original driver side valve cover was caked with carbon in the vented area inside the valve cover. At that time GM had a 3rd design valve cover available with much improved venting and built in PCV valve. Also needed a longer hose. How does the inside of your vent system for the valve cover look?

Forgive my ignorance but can you please explain a bit more about exactly where / what I should look at?

The oil leaks have slowed down considerably since I replaced the PCV valve... BUT I'm still getting "Check Oil Level" message on the dash once a week or so (which is about 300-400 miles or so for me). Could a plugged vent system be causing excessive oil consumption? No smoke from exhaust or anything.

OP
OP
John03Z71

John03Z71

Reaction score
Sounds like I may have a leak due to the PCV system clogged, similar to the OP. Thinking I should tackle that. Anyone got any advice or a walk though on how to do that?

Apparently the PCV system varies on different year models from my understanding... but on my '03, I literally pulled the vacuum hose straight up and off the valve cover gasket (rear of engine on driver's side). My PCV valve came off with the hose, all I had to do was pull the old one out and put the new one in the hose, then stick the hose back on the top of the manifold. I did this in the parts store parking lot in about 2 minutes tops.

yukonxlv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DSC_2937.JPG DSC_2938.JPG DSC_2939.JPG
Were you able to get the plugged up valve cover venting again or did you purchase the revised valve cover with the improved venting? If you were able to open up the plugged up one, what was your procedure? Thanks.
I took the valve cover to dealership and had a friend run it thru their automotive dishwasher with other parts for 30 minutes. When the tech came to get his parts he told me about the updated valve cover design. The parts department had it in stock and venting design was considerable improved, so I went with the new design. If I can find pictures showing the difference, I will post them.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So it looks like my 2006 is different.... ugh... no valve. Just a tube that’s part of the vacuum hose.... now what?

View attachment 231899 View attachment 231900

Not sure what you're trying to do, Chase? If you're looking for a clog or something, that house just pulls off. Be careful, though, the plastic gets brittle and likes to snap at the connection on the intake.

Why not put a catch can on it?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're trying to do, Chase? If you're looking for a clog or something, that house just pulls off. Be careful, though, the plastic gets brittle and likes to snap at the connection on the intake.

Why not put a catch can on it?
I was hoping mine would have a removable pcv to clean ir replace, and maybe that might help slow the oil drips. I guess not so much...
though my oil leak is not anywhere near as serious as the OPs. It’s on a few drips a day. But it’s annoying. I don’t think a catch can would solve my oil leak.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was hoping mine would have a removable pcv to clean ir replace, and maybe that might help slow the oil drips. I guess not so much...
though my oil leak is not anywhere near as serious as the OPs. It’s on a few drips a day. But it’s annoying. I don’t think a catch can would solve my oil leak.

No, but it would catch the stuff you're suspecting to have gunked up the PCV and caused the pressure that may be contributing to your leak.

Anywho.. there is a "valve" at one end of that hose.
Screenshot_20191006-194536_Chrome.jpg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but it would catch the stuff you're suspecting to have gunked up the PCV and caused the pressure that may be contributing to your leak.

Anywho.. there is a "valve" at one end of that hose.
View attachment 231976
If there is it doesn’t come separately from the hose. I pulled it off yesterday. I have a new one coming in tomorrow afternoon because the opposite end where it attaches, the plastic is cracked. Thought I had a pic of the whole piece. I’ll have to take a photo tomorrow when I put the new piece on.

D448874A-0EAD-4FAE-9AC1-E8142ED2798D.jpeg
That’s the pics that attaches to the valve cover. There isn’t a “valve” at the other end, at least not that I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE