Help me find this oil leak please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mang213

Reaction score
A buddy of mine was having oil spray up all over the underside of his 04 Suburban, and even spraying onto the back hatch and window glass. Turned out to be a clogged oil pickup screen that was creating pressure differentials in the crankcase and sending it out the pcv system

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 231682 View attachment 231683 View attachment 231684
I took the valve cover to dealership and had a friend run it thru their automotive dishwasher with other parts for 30 minutes. When the tech came to get his parts he told me about the updated valve cover design. The parts department had it in stock and venting design was considerable improved, so I went with the new design. If I can find pictures showing the difference, I will post them.

Thanks for the post. Those pics show that GM has a few different design changes on the drivers side valve cover. I have never seen one like your original one at the bottom of the pic. It has 3 holes roughly 3/4" diameter in the vent chamber. I have seen the revised updated cover with the large rectangular hole.

My original 2004 valve cover has no removable PCV valve. It just has the fixed orifice in the PCV connection. The valve cover on my 04 only has 1 round 3/4" vent hole, in addition to the slotted holes that run across the bottom of the vent chamber and one tiny hole on the end where the hose connects. It looks exactly like the valve cover in this video.

I did enlarge the small hole at the end where the hose connects to 5/32", as the gentleman did in the you tube video. When I pulled mine off that hole and the slotted ones were all caked solid and not breathing venting anything. The round hole was not even visible due to caked on oil from 300k miles of use. I was not lucky enough to have access to an automotive dishwasher so I cleaned up as best as I could with rags, brake cleaner & compressed air. It is venting again, but it's a messy job.

If the OP has the same plugged up valve cover, that increased crankcase pressure could exacerbate an oil leak.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was having oil spray up all over the underside of his 04 Suburban, and even spraying onto the back hatch and window glass. Turned out to be a clogged oil pickup screen that was creating pressure differentials in the crankcase and sending it out the pcv system

This is an interesting post and worth looking into for those of us with higher mileage rigs. Did you buddy drop the pan to clean the oil pickup screen?

Thanks for the info.

mang213

Reaction score
This is an interesting post and worth looking into for those of us with higher mileage rigs. Did you buddy drop the pan to clean the oil pickup screen?

Thanks for the info.
He had a shop pull the pan and the top end. Hell, they may have replaced the oil pump too iirc

mang213

Reaction score
Looks to me if it was a restricted oil pickup screen then you would have low oil pressure to go with it along with a noisy valve train.
Exactly my thought too. I personally think it was pressure sensor leaking and the shop just didn't have a clue and started replacing parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd