help, i was doing doughnuts in my tahoe and now the steering is stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what i need to do to fix my tahoe, today i was doing doughnuts in the snowy parking lot, and now my stering is stiff and a struggle to turn the wheel, anyone know what happened?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Steering Box could have went POP!!!!
Should not have hit the doughnuts so hard.....:imo:

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it make any noise when it pops, i didnt hear anything or feel anything when i was doing it, it was nothing more than any otehr one i had did and it wasnt for an extended period of time so im pretty boggled as to what happened

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could just be the serpentine belt...hows the voltage?

Im not sure, I havent really worked on my tahoe yet, what would i need to do to check this?

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

visually everything looks ok with the belt, i dont see it off anywhere and its still tight, however it is starting to crack in some spots so i might need one soon anyways

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

could it be the power steering pump that went out due to my 30 seconds of retardation

laydout97

05'Tahoe
Reaction score
Power steering pump is done!! I did that one time in my old HD supercrew. You had the wheel turned to far and ****** the pump up.

OP
OP
NOPROBROBB

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering pump is done!! I did that one time in my old HD supercrew. You had the wheel turned to far and ****** the pump up.

thanks for the input, that was what i was thinking after looking into it a little bit, i guess i know what i ll be doing on monday morning.

laydout97

05'Tahoe
Reaction score
thanks for the input, that was what i was thinking after looking into it a little bit, i guess i know what i ll be doing on monday morning.

I had an 03 Harley Davidson supercrew and was doing that one time. After the fun was over, the steering was very stiff. Upon inspection, it blew the front seal out of the pump, leaked the fluid out, and burnt the pump up. I only did the burnout for about 30 seconds, like you, and that's all it took. Good luck fixing it!

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
next time you do that make sure you dont turn so tight for longer than like 5 seconds, you can turn the wheel quite alot, but if your ever turning around in your driveway, you know when your turn it all the way and rest it at full lock it makes that weird noise, that noise is stress and when your add the force of the doughnut you just stress it an ungodly amount.

Konman09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yup. without question it is the power steering pump. under warranty? my buddy did this to his new 4X4 last year with 1,000 miles on it not knowing how bad it was on the power steering.