Locked Steering Wheel & Ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3BigDogs

Reaction score
I'm sure this was probably addressed somewhere. Unfortunately I let a 'friend' borrow my 2000 Tahoe LS 5.3 Vortec. When his now ex boss came to get me the next evening (idiot's in jail) he ended up locking up my steering wheel and no one can unlock it. Therefore the Ignition key won't move either! This happened Nov. 5th and I can't afford a mechanic. I bought a replacement coded Ignition with 2 keys. I'm hoping this will fix the problem. Any ideas? Any how-tos? Programming info? I'm kind of desperate here. Thanks!
#locked steering #locked Ignition

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How is the steering wheel locked up? If is turned all the way, left or right, and key was turned off and removed when was turned to the steering lock, there is a form of back pressure that will keep the key from turning. Just pull the steering wheel hard, all the way to the steering lock and that should relieve pressure and all ow the ignition key to turn.

You need to explain how "ended up locking up my steering wheel" works?

Last edited:
OP
OP
3BigDogs

3BigDogs

Reaction score
How is the steering wheel locked up? If is turned all the way, left or right, and key was turned off and removed when was turned to the steering lock, there is a form of back pressure that will keep the key from turning. Just pull the steering wheel hard, all the way to the steering lock and that should relieve pressure and all ow the ignition key to turn.

You need to explain how "ended up locking up my steering wheel" works?
The Jailbird had the front wheels turned just enough to the right before turning off the truck. Then I'm guessing in his highly drunken/high state went back into the truck to roll himself another joint-which he's Not supposed to be doing in my vehicle or home. He was likely holding on to the steering wheel for 'support' without the key in and kept turning it until it locked up.
I have had the tow truck driver, idiot's now ex-boss , and others try to 'break it loose' but it just won't which also prevents the key from turning in the Ignition!

OP
OP
3BigDogs

3BigDogs

Reaction score
Give what @OR VietVet suggested a try first. If that Doesn't resolve your issue, I recommend calling a locksmith to come over to your place and fix it for you.
I just purchased a 'coded' Ignition with 2v keys. I'm hoping this will work! I know it needs to be programmed, but my key fob will open my doors & set my security until I can get it all programmed. I really hope this is the solution because I'm running out of money because of Uber!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the column is jammed and you need to pull on it to the direction the tires are turned to release the pressure. Then jiggle the key while trying to turn it, GENTLY. It sounds like it's bound up and you have to find the combo to release it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It sounds like the column is jammed and you need to pull on it to the direction the tires are turned to release the pressure. Then jiggle the key while trying to turn it, GENTLY. It sounds like it's bound up and you have to find the combo to release it
I agree, that is why I said what I said. I have dealt with this before and have had them real tight and hard to pull further but it is something that can be done. Otherwise, the steering wheel comes off and dig in there.

Hopefully, two of us saying the same thing will convince her/him.

OP
OP
3BigDogs

3BigDogs

Reaction score
I've tried and others have tried moving the steering wheel to unlock it. No go. ☹️

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried and others have tried moving the steering wheel to unlock it. No go. ☹️
I think that the steering column has several joints, swivel and splined. Any of these mechanisms can wear to the point of failure and lock the steering function, especially when high loads are applied. Maybe excersing the tilt function will help unlock the steering. Or provide input to the cause of the locked steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar