2001 Tahoe Steering Column Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveshow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2001 Tahoe LS with 151k miles that was a theft recovery for $600. THe truck runs and drives ok, and with the exception of the cats being cut off, seems to be in OK mechanical condition. They broke the key switch and now the actual switch is hanging don below the column. They were just pushing the white "gear" that they key normally actuates to start the truck. For the gear shift, they rigged what appears to be a boat shifter cable. Evidently the truck does not have a locking column, (or they broke that somehow as well. My question is in regard to replacing the steering column. I was employing the thieves' "method" to start and load the truck on my trailer. When I turn the switch "ON", the "SECUIRTY" light starts flashing. I plan to use the engine, trans, chassis dash and floor pan under a 71 C1 body I have that already had the floor and firewall cut out when I bought it, so am looking to get it back to how it is supposed to me. If I install an steering column out of a salvage yard truck, does any "programming" or anything else need to be done in order for it to work? I currently also have a 2001 2500HD "work truck" and it does not appear to have a "chip" on the key. It does not have the "SECURITY" light on the instrument cluster either, though. Does the Tahoe have a "chip" key?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres likely a chip inside the plastic part, or its just been torn apart and got damaged wires from when it got stolen. the steering wheel does not lock in these trucks. one reason they are stolen so easy.

your going to need a tune to make that engine work right in the 71 truck, so add deleting the vats system in the tune. as well as a load of other things like evap and stuff a 71 never had. you should be able to use the factory 71 column if you still have it. sounds like a cool project. cant wait to see its progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts