Help! Both the Stabilitrak/Traction Control and ABS lights are lit up on my DIC!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a wheel weight fell off one of my rims which caused my avalanche to shake violently on the highway when going over 60mph. So I went to a nearby Discount Tire Direct and had them re-balance all 4 wheels/tires. I was due for a rotation on the Toyo MT's so I figured it'd be a good time to go. Well when they were done, my car drives super smooth now BUT the Stabilitrak/Traction Control light and ABS light are both lit up on the DIC and reads "Traction Control Off" and "Stabilitrak Off".

I brought it up to the guy who handed me my keys after and he said "drive about 20 miles and if it's still on come back tomorrow". Well I'm working a lot and by the time I get off they are closed. I had to leave work early to go get it done this time so it's not exactly easy for me to just leave work. Any of you guys have this issue when balancing or rotating their rims/tires?? I'm hoping something just got unplugged or something because I don't feel any difference in ride quality and the brakes work just fine.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
When they jacked up your car on the frame lift the wheels and tires probably sagged down far enough for your rear hub speed sensors to come disconnected from the connector on to of the frame rail.
Find the little wire like things coming from your rear rotor area and follow them to the frame rail and ensure they are plugged in.
You can also do the same for the fronts if that does not work, but it is more likely to be the rear in your case.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be that you have a hub assembly going out. Does it sound rough or like your driving on super swamper bogger tires? Also if you swerve to the right or the left does it get better or worse. Hub assembly are a extremely common problem on all silverados. Have them or your reg mechanic jack it up under the control arm, grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is movement upward/inward. If that makes sense.

I have never seen a wheel weight do that kind of damage. You live in Denver right? If so take it to one of those new les Schwab tire locations they will do a free front end inspection for you.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the abs connection get damaged on the front end before on silverados. It connects to the top rear part of the hub not sure if it the same on yours.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they jacked up your car on the frame lift the wheels and tires probably sagged down far enough for your rear hub speed sensors to come disconnected from the connector on to of the frame rail.
Find the little wire like things coming from your rear rotor area and follow them to the frame rail and ensure they are plugged in.
You can also do the same for the fronts if that does not work, but it is more likely to be the rear in your case.

Ok ill look for this today. Thanks modded!

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

My guess would be that you have a hub assembly going out. Does it sound rough or like your driving on super swamper bogger tires? Also if you swerve to the right or the left does it get better or worse. Hub assembly are a extremely common problem on all silverados. Have them or your reg mechanic jack it up under the control arm, grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if there is movement upward/inward. If that makes sense.

I have never seen a wheel weight do that kind of damage. You live in Denver right? If so take it to one of those new les Schwab tire locations they will do a free front end inspection for you.

No nothing is rough. Everything rides super smooth especially for being on mud terrains. And I have an avalanche not silverado so not sure if the issues with those trucks would be present on my vehicle. When I have time ill def take it to les Schwab and let them inspect it! Thanks for the tips man.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the silvers,avys and tahoes all take the same hub assembly's. les Schwab also has a scan tool that they can run the codes to see what is causing the lights to be on. Not sure if they would charge you or not though.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. I'll be off work in a week to prepare moving back to Louisiana so i'll definitely have to stop by there and see what's up... my lit up DIC is KILLING me!

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This^^. Happened to me when installing my leveling kit.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. I'll be off work in a week to prepare moving back to Louisiana so i'll definitely have to stop by there and see what's up... my lit up DIC is KILLING me!

If it lasts more than 4 hours seek medical attention.:Handshake:

Like said above, I'd check the wiring first, sounds like something got unplugged.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it didn't get unplugged... The abs sensor/wire was split in half and hanging by a thread! $182 for the part itself before labor. It ended up costing $302 after labor at the stealership :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17