Help, 275/70/18 or 285/75/18 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went to Costco today because my tires came in. They declined installing them on my Tahoe because the 275/70/18 tire size is 5.1% bigger than the factory 265/65/18.
That's a joke if you ask me, but I get it, they're a large corporation blah blah liability blah blah.
I went back later and asked them if I brought in wheels, would they mount the tires I ordered, they agreed to.
So now I'll have to put the Tahoe on jackstands in my driveway and take the wheels out in another car to have them swap the tires and then put them on the Tahoe.
So that'll have to wait until my next day off...
Yeah, they won't deviate from OEM specs.

OP
OP
Jeff_

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got the tires mounted through Costco. I had tried lying to them that the wheels I was bringing them were off a 2500 silverado so that they'd not give me a hard time about the size difference. My hope was that they'd be so unaware of the 6-lug vs 8-lug difference that they would never know. I think the service manager at my local Costco Tire Center doesn't like me, so he went out of his way to look at the wheels and determine they weren't the right ones. They said they'd mount the tires and explicitly write on my "file" that they have no warranty through Costco. So good for them on protecting their giant corporation I guess, and at the end of the day it's whatever. I tried what I could, I can't be mad.bfg.jpg
I think the 275/70/18's look great! Fills out the wheel wells much better than the factory tires, and no rubbing even at full lock.

Attachments

• bfg.jpg
    bfg.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 57

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corporate liability.... Gotta love it!

Similarly, a while back, I went to Town Fair Tire to get my tires balanced. The Tech came out of the shop and told me that they would not re-mount the newly-balanced tires on the rear of my truck, since it had wheel spacers. The only way that I could get my truck out of their shop, is if I would authorize them to remove the spacers, before they re-mounted the tires.

OP
OP
Jeff_

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corporate liability.... Gotta love it!

Similarly, a while back, I went to Town Fair Tire to get my tires balanced. The Tech came out of the shop and told me that they would not re-mount the newly-balanced tires on the rear of my truck, since it had wheel spacers. The only way that I could get my truck out of their shop, is if I would authorize them to remove the spacers, before they re-mounted the tires.
Yeah that's terrible. On one hand I understand because I work for a big company too, but like come on, there should be a middle ground. But ultimately, it doesn't matter to the service manager if I give my money to Costco or not so it is what it is.
Given that I didn't sign anything saying that I had no warranty, I don't know how well their note in the "system" will hold up should I want to push anything with them down the line.

LRD_V8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I went to Costco today because my tires came in. They declined installing them on my Tahoe because the 275/70/18 tire size is 5.1% bigger than the factory 265/65/18.
That's a joke if you ask me, but I get it, they're a large corporation blah blah liability blah blah.
I went back later and asked them if I brought in wheels, would they mount the tires I ordered, they agreed to.
So now I'll have to put the Tahoe on jackstands in my driveway and take the wheels out in another car to have them swap the tires and then put them on the Tahoe.
So that'll have to wait until my next day off...

I wish I would've read this comment before today, the same thing happened to me, except mine were 10% bigger :)

LRD_V8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they install them for you and write “no warranty” like they said they would for me? Haha
They wouldn't even install them and told me I got no warranty. I had to have my neighbor take them to a shop and let's just say I got charged the "oversized tire" rate. That was the 2nd visit to costco (the tires weren't there for my 1st appointment) and I was done screwing with tires. Hopefully I'll be able to drive the thing after I do some trimming (z71 tahoe).

OP
OP
Jeff_

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't even install them and told me I got no warranty. I had to have my neighbor take them to a shop and let's just say I got charged the "oversized tire" rate. That was the 2nd visit to costco (the tires weren't there for my 1st appointment) and I was done screwing with tires. Hopefully I'll be able to drive the thing after I do some trimming (z71 tahoe).
I see, makes sense. Even with the hassle it’s hard to beat Costco with their prices especially when there’s a rebate as well. Hopefully you’re able to be putting miles on them soon.

LRD_V8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see, makes sense. Even with the hassle it’s hard to beat Costco with their prices especially when there’s a rebate as well. Hopefully you’re able to be putting miles on them soon.
Yeah. That's why I kept the tires as they were the cheapest.

StickShift2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With stock wheels rubbing is a large concern due to the positive offset of the wheels. I went with 275/70R18 and can say that I’m quite happy with no rubbing. View attachment 280129
Hey Bud, thanks for posting this. Just want to ask, did you have to change out the stock wheels in order to fit those 275/70/18's? I'm almost certain my 18" wheels on my 2020 is different from those?.

Also a general question for everyone who sized up, is there a limit to what size may fit in the spare tire compartment?. I went with Tiki's size information and hope this wont be a problem with the spare. Thanks for any input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts