Help - 2004 Tahoe ABS, Brake Light, Traction Control, Stabilitrak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to the forum - Want to start by introducing the vehicle - 2004 Chevy Tahoe 179,000 miles no modifications.

The brake light and ABS light have always been on since I owned it (Bought it at 163,00). The wife is going to take the tahoe because it has been such a great vehicle and I'm going to continue to drive the Duramax. She wants the brakes fixed. I already did SS lines new pads and rotors. She wants the full paddle back (air pocket in abs) and the abs fixed. i sent out the abs module to get resoldered as everyone says to do. I reinstalled the module and still have both ABS and brake lights on the dash. The parking brake cable is broken so I don't know if this will do it. However, I did look around at fuses to see if anything was blown. All fuses checked out. There is a brake fuse on the interior fuse panel. By the diagram on the interior fuse panel and looking at my fuses there it seemed like this brake fuse was empty. i installed a 10amp fuse as it calls for and turned the key. The vehicle made some sounds and now the stabilitrak service message pops up along with the traction control light. i scanned the truck and got P1689 and P0856. Since my ownership, the cruise control has never worked.

I am beginning to get stumped with this one. The abs module should be fine since it is resoldered and re-installed. My questions are as follows:
1. Can a broken parking brake cable cause this?
2. Did i screw up by installing a fuse in this location? (I have since removed the fuse. ABS, brake, stabilitrak, traction control light still on).
3. What is step one? I'm very mechanically inclined but I am starting to lose my mind with this.

Attached is a picture of the fuse i was questioning.

Any help is appreciated
Interior Fuse box.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That fuse is for the ABS system:

View attachment 411431
Ok that makes more sense. I know there is also an Abs fuse in the fuse box under the hood. The location I circled can you agree that is the location you have circled as well? The only confusion I have is the 10amp below the relays is that the pdm fuse. My panel shows that location being a Pam fuse. But the location of what I thought was the brake/abs fuse is empty as shown in my picture in the original post.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The location I circled can you agree that is the location you have circled as well?
Yes, same fuse. Since it's missing in yours that will be one reason for the code to set. If you reinstall it and still have the code, then there is something else wrong with the ABS system.

I know there is also an Abs fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

Yes, the ABS fuse in the underhood fusebox is a Jcase fuse, which is physically larger than the minifuses.

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, same fuse. Since it's missing in yours that will be one reason for the code to set. If you reinstall it and still have the code, then there is something else wrong with the ABS system.

Yes, the ABS fuse in the underhood fusebox is a Jcase fuse, which is physically larger than the minifuses.
The location never had a fuse in it. All this time I have been driving around with just the Abs light and brake light on. When I put that fuse in some weird relay clicking happened so I took it out. Now I have service stabilitrak and traction control. Should I re install the fuse?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put the fuse back and then you need to do a little more troubleshooting.
you could have more than 1 thing going on.
it's possible the re-solder of the abs module didn't take but that will require some testing
you could have hub/abs sensor issue's also, entirely possibly at 179k
you need a scanner that can read ABS and hopefully show real time data.

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
put the fuse back and then you need to do a little more troubleshooting.
you could have more than 1 thing going on.
it's possible the re-solder of the abs module didn't take but that will require some testing
you could have hub/abs sensor issue's also, entirely possibly at 179k
you need a scanner that can read ABS and hopefully show real time data.
So I scanned for codes with the fuse installed in that location. Got a whole bunch of stuff going on. One was the front left wheel sensor. Replaced that and still have abs light, brake light, tc light, service stability, service brake. And the codes I have are as follows:
P1689 - delivered torque circuit fault
P0856 - traction control torque request circuit
C0550 - ecu malfunction
C0110 - pump motor circuit malfunction
C0131 - abs/tcs system pressure circuit malfunction

Left front wheel sensors went away with new sensor installed.

Trucks battery has now died from me messing around with it so much. I pulled it out and it’s on the charger. I also cleaned the grounds by the drivers side front cab mount. No change.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My abs light is on also. It's because I changed the hub and used aftermarket, Moog I think--but used the oem sensor trying to troubleshoot another issue. Seems the aftermarket hubs like to only use their sensors, not the oem sensors. Is that what you also did?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I scanned for codes with the fuse installed in that location. Got a whole bunch of stuff going on. One was the front left wheel sensor. Replaced that and still have abs light, brake light, tc light, service stability, service brake. And the codes I have are as follows:
P1689 - delivered torque circuit fault
P0856 - traction control torque request circuit
C0550 - ecu malfunction
C0110 - pump motor circuit malfunction
C0131 - abs/tcs system pressure circuit malfunction

Left front wheel sensors went away with new sensor installed.

Trucks battery has now died from me messing around with it so much. I pulled it out and it’s on the charger. I also cleaned the grounds by the drivers side front cab mount. No change.
You may want to pull the ecu harness's off and take a look to see if there is any corrosion or signs of water intrusion, those are pretty random codes which may be wiring related, check all visible wiring harness and connections, feel the bottoms of the wires to see if one has rubbed on something and broke a wire anywhere. chewed wires from rodents, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts