Help - 2004 Tahoe ABS, Brake Light, Traction Control, Stabilitrak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may want to pull the ecu harness's off and take a look to see if there is any corrosion or signs of water intrusion, those are pretty random codes which may be wiring related, check all visible wiring harness and connections, feel the bottoms of the wires to see if one has rubbed on something and broke a wire anywhere. chewed wires from rodents, etc.
I’ll check the harness. Before I reinstalled the fuse from the above posts I only ever had an abs light and brake light.

The wife wants all the lights off and inspection (nj) so this is why I got to this point. I drove the Tahoe for a year with no issues while having the brake light and Abs light on. Include multiple 5+ hr trips towing my 21ft bass boat. Now I’m opening a can of worms to get the lights off for her.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’ll check the harness. Before I reinstalled the fuse from the above posts I only ever had an abs light and brake light.

The wife wants all the lights off and inspection (nj) so this is why I got to this point. I drove the Tahoe for a year with no issues while having the brake light and Abs light on. Include multiple 5+ hr trips towing my 21ft bass boat. Now I’m opening a can of worms to get the lights off for her.
Guaranteed it's something stupid. Just gotta find it tho. Both my lights are on too.

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why does the EBCM on my truck have way more valves and only one large plug? Every replacement ebcm I find only has a couple valves and has 3 electrical connectors?

project_x

Reaction score
Have you checked the ground for the abs module (and other things)? On the frame, driver's side, even with the front of the door.. it gets corroded....

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked the ground for the abs module (and other things)? On the frame, driver's side, even with the front of the door.. it gets corroded....
Cleaned those and check with multimeter. Both are good.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you are having a brake issue i.e. 1 wheel locking up or something to that effect then the abs module is all you need to replace.

from the codes you reported I would lean towards the problem being electrical. Could it be the abs module causing it:? I have never heard of one doing anything more than throwing brake/abs codes but I suppose it is possible..

Fomoodie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fomoodie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The location never had a fuse in it. All this time I have been driving around with just the Abs light and brake light on. When I put that fuse in some weird relay clicking happened so I took it out. Now I have service stabilitrak and traction control. Should I re install the fuse?
The fuse was probably removed because the ABS Unit was acting up. Since you had it repaired put the fuse back and all should be good..

OP
OP
R

rkeil1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fuse was probably removed because the ABS Unit was acting up. Since you had it repaired put the fuse back and all should be good..
I have replaced the fuse, reinstalled the ebcm, cleaned and reset the ecu. Dismantled and cleaned the entire fuse box. Cleaned and prepped every ground and still all all the light and messages. I’m now learning that the abs module I have is discontinued. My rig is awd, with active brake control, and traction control. It essentially has every option and that module is no longer sold. Called gm they gave me a new part number that I get some hits on but from very no name websites.
Below is a picture of my unit. The new part number gm gave me based upon my vin is 19368154
IMG_8243.jpeg

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ABS & Stabilitrac both use the wheel speed sensors in order to function, since you have a code for wheel speed sensor you should start with that; sometimes an error in the ABS will also trigger the brake light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts