Hello from Tx.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pho20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. Just joined the forum still looking through the different post. I just bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe it has just over 140k miles runs and drives great does have a few issues. The service - stability, Airbag, 4x4, message is on. the factory DVD player seems to have no power. Also have a few interior lights that don't come on. It has a lift on it not sure the specs. It sits on 35 inch tires. Not really into the chrome rims looking for a set of black ones.

The main thing I want to get figured out is the service 4x4 issue because right now I can't change it into 4 high or low. here's a side pic I will post more pics soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_131807__01.jpg
    IMG_20211217_131807__01.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 17

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll need to scan for codes on all them items and start there. you'll need a normal scanner, a abs and srs capable scanner as well. there is a free app that can scan all that with a droid device and a blue tooth obd2 scanner.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/....obd2.chevroletsys.chevroletsysscanfree&hl=en they say to use a elm327 but those kinda suck these days, market got flooded with china knock offs that fail to work. so spend the 20 for a bafx brand one. will work the same.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from MA!!

Beautiful Tahoe!

You may want to check on a couple of things...

Look on the factory sticker inside the glove box.

There should be a G80 code (this is AXLE POSI-TRACTION, LIMITED SLIP) and a Z71 (this is CHASSIS PACKAGE, “OFF-ROAD”) code in the list of option codes on that sticker.

It would have also shipped with 265 tires on 17 inch rims. Code XJP (TIRE FORNT - P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL OOR) and code YJP (TIRE REAR - P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL OOR).

There are a few other option codes related to Z71, but those should be listed there on that sticker.

If the codes are present, great news!

If the seller presented it to you as a Z71, and charged you more for it as a Z71, and no Z71 option codes are on the sticker... I'd want to follow-up with him on it.

A couple of indictors on the truck possibly not being a Z71...
Z71 models had round fog lights and the roof rack has fat end caps, heavier rails and a roller bar on the back (see below example on a Denali).

image.jpeg

Sure, the roof rack could have been swapped for standard rack, but having the standard fog lamps too? Without knowing if Z71 options are on the sticker or not, just looking at the exterior has me thinking it might not be a Z71.

My guess is, that they may have just added the modern Z71 badge on the doors.

Again, don't get me wrong!
You have a rig that is SUPER nice!
I wish mine was in that condition on the outside. Your Tahoe is a beauty!

OP
OP
Pho20

Pho20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from MA!!

Beautiful Tahoe!

There should be a G80 code (this is AXLE POSI-TRACTION, LIMITED SLIP) and a Z71 (this is CHASSIS PACKAGE, “OFF-ROAD”) code in the list of option codes on that sticker.

It would have also shipped with 265 tires on 17 inch rims. Code XJP (TIRE FORNT - P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL OOR) and code YJP (TIRE REAR - P265/70R17-113S BW R/PE ST TL OOR).

There are a few other option codes related to Z71, but those should be listed there on that sticker.

If the seller presented it to you as a Z71, and charged you more for it as a Z71, and no Z71 option codes are on the sticker... I'd want to follow-up with him on it.

Z71 models had round fog lights and the roof rack has fat end caps, heavier rails and a roller bar on the back (see below example on a Denali).

View attachment 365324

Sure, the roof rack could have been swapped for standard rack, but having the standard fog lamps too? Without knowing if Z71 options are on the sticker or not, just looking at the exterior has me thinking it might not be a Z71.

Thanks I'll have to check into the codes but if it's not a Z71 they went to a lot to make it look like one it has leather seating with the Z71 stitching

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome from MA!!

Beautiful Tahoe!

View attachment 365324

Don't forget about the gray Z71 plastics along with the Z71 specific running boards. It really is a good looking rig.

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I really wish my rig looked like that!

It looks fantastic cosmetically and, as @adventurenali92 mentioned, 140k is nothing!

Mine is a Z71. But, totally envy your Tahoe, whatever version it may be.

I have sad 16" Silverado beater rims with skinny 245 tires, no rocker panels, missing roof rack, dents, dings, etc.
It is coming up on 200k sometime this season. While it has some exterior issues, the inside is near pristine. It runs and rides great and I love it all the same.

Welcome to the forum! I am not new to DIY on my own vehicles, but I am a Tahoe newbie. Hopefully, we'll all learn stuff we never knew and have fun in the process.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nice looking rig, love the stance.

Ps.
99% sure it's not a Z71. Its missing the items the other fellow members mention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01