Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92VR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 96 Yukon sags pretty bad in the back, several inches lower than the front. I generally have 2-400 lbs of tools and materials in the back, but even without that its still noticeably lower. I need to tow a trailer (few thousand lb total) semi-regularly, and the rear will bottom out if I hook the trailer up

I think the springs are shot, and I want to replace them with something beefier than stock. Has anyone used the heavy duty springs from General Spring, or have another recommendation? I'm mainly wondering if/how they will affect the ride quality. A little stiffer I wouldn't mind, but I drive this thing every day so I want to avoid the covered wagon experience.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 96 Yukon sags pretty bad in the back, several inches lower than the front. I generally have 2-400 lbs of tools and materials in the back, but even without that its still noticeably lower. I need to tow a trailer (few thousand lb total) semi-regularly, and the rear will bottom out if I hook the trailer up

I think the springs are shot, and I want to replace them with something beefier than stock. Has anyone used the heavy duty springs from General Spring, or have another recommendation? I'm mainly wondering if/how they will affect the ride quality. A little stiffer I wouldn't mind, but I drive this thing every day so I want to avoid the covered wagon experience.

Welcome to the forum form Iowa.

Sounds to me that your springs are tired and worn out, not necessarily undersized. I would look at springs that have capacities that are a little above what your vehicle has for a rear axle rating and go with those. That should get you back on an even plane with your rig. If after that, you still think you need a little extra support when towing or hauling stuff around, you could look into some helper springs. that would only really affect the ride stiffness if you are loaded down.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this vintage, I recommend one leaf more than stock. Doesn't effect ride much except over giant potholes. Still better than stock because it doesn't wallow around from softness after the hit. Plus another 500 Lbs isn't even noticed, whether trailer tongue weight or motor in the back. Handles better overall too. If you want to drive a cadillac drive a cadillac, if you want to carry more than groceries buy a truck, can't do both.LOL.

OP
OP

92VR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I'm going to give the General Spring set a shot then, they're rated a little above my axle rating (stocks are a little below if i'm correct) and they have the extra leaf. I'm going to replace my bump stops (totally gone) and my end links (bushings are shot) while i'm down there too. Hopefully it'll all make a big difference, I'll report back on it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have as many miles on those springs as I think you do, the new eye bushings will help with the stability too. The new springs unloaded will seem a bit stiffer, especially with the worn out effect you have now, but when you put the load on it will "Cadillac" right on down the road. Good call on the bump stops and stabilizer. How old are the shocks? Might want to do those too.

rchurch5945

Reaction score
FWIT - I just rebuilt the suspension on my 96 2 dr. I also lowered it 4" front and rear. I didn't notice any rear sagging before lowering it, but it sagged noticeably afterwards. I bought the heavy duty springs and installed them and it raised the rear about 3" and rode like a wagon. I removed one leaf and it dropped down where I wanted it and rides great. I also put new poly bushings in them. I think the heavy duty springs are your best bet, and even if you remove a leaf like I did it would still work for your needs.