Heater hose “T”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just buy a quality gates or continental stock replacement hose. I don't know that it's worth risking trying a Dorman fix for that. Definitely buy quality Ts at the heater core and don't go donkey balls on it when disconnecting those hoses at the core. Be patient there.
When the heater core T fittings give out I’ll make sure I get the the right replacements and not dorman ones cuz that’s not a job I want to do twice lol.
Got the other connection deal swapped out. It wasn’t too terrible of a job but the factory heater core hoses were a pain the ass to get disconnected from the factory plastic connector at the water pump. They have barbed plastic inserts that the hoses go over and the barbed piece stays locked into the end of the hose. If I’d have known I had to dea with that I would have skipped that and just bought new hoses and replaced the heater core T fittings at the same time. But none of the videos I saw online talked about replacing the other fitting. Had I not had to mess with cutting those barbed pieces out of the hose the job would have been a bit easier. Although maybe not with the getting the other T fittings out… who knows…

Anyways after getting the barbed pieces out I mounted each hose and clamp to the new aluminum fitting, and mounted it back to the spot on the water pump. Didn’t have enough coolant to fill it back up at home, which I thought I did, so I had a buddy grab me a fresh gallon Friday morning. It’s all buttoned back up. The new fitting almost looks like it doesn’t stay in place as it wigged a bit. But the clamps are in pace and no coolant has raked after driving it yesterday afternoon, and back and forth to work today.

Attachments

• 0AE6D901-0DC1-4FB3-8BC2-D770FFFE8FF7.jpeg
    0AE6D901-0DC1-4FB3-8BC2-D770FFFE8FF7.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 14

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I have ran across the barbed plastic fittings that I want to get the hose off of, I have cut the plastic flush with the end of the hose and then used a C clamp to crush the plastic in side the hose and then dig the pieces out. I know the first thing you are thinking of is the pieces falling back down the hose. I thought of that too. I just make sure the end of the hose is pointed down and I use pinch pliers to block the hose and then just dig them out. I was worried that the plastic would cut the inside of the hose but the slow squeeze of the C clamp has never cut a hose.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I have ran across the barbed plastic fittings that I want to get the hose off of, I have cut the plastic flush with the end of the hose and then used a C clamp to crush the plastic in side the hose and then dig the pieces out. I know the first thing you are thinking of is the pieces falling back down the hose. I thought of that too. I just make sure the end of the hose is pointed down and I use pinch pliers to block the hose and then just dig them out. I was worried that the plastic would cut the inside of the hose but the slow squeeze of the C clamp has never cut a hose.
That would worked really well if I had the top ends of the heater hoses disconnected. Lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the heater core T fittings give out I’ll make sure I get the the right replacements and not dorman ones cuz that’s not a job I want to do twice lol.
Got the other connection deal swapped out. It wasn’t too terrible of a job but the factory heater core hoses were a pain the ass to get disconnected from the factory plastic connector at the water pump. They have barbed plastic inserts that the hoses go over and the barbed piece stays locked into the end of the hose. If I’d have known I had to dea with that I would have skipped that and just bought new hoses and replaced the heater core T fittings at the same time. But none of the videos I saw online talked about replacing the other fitting. Had I not had to mess with cutting those barbed pieces out of the hose the job would have been a bit easier. Although maybe not with the getting the other T fittings out… who knows…

Anyways after getting the barbed pieces out I mounted each hose and clamp to the new aluminum fitting, and mounted it back to the spot on the water pump. Didn’t have enough coolant to fill it back up at home, which I thought I did, so I had a buddy grab me a fresh gallon Friday morning. It’s all buttoned back up. The new fitting almost looks like it doesn’t stay in place as it wigged a bit. But the clamps are in pace and no coolant has raked after driving it yesterday afternoon, and back and forth to work today.

Is this a new offering from Dorman? I only knew of the complete assembly with hoses, which I bought for mine. I didn't like the cheap feel of the hoses, so I replaced them with Gates bulk heater hose from O'Reilly.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"When the heater core T fittings give out I’ll make sure I get the the right replacements........" When they give out, I can pretty much assure you that you won't be at home, and it will be a complete cluster****. You should consider changing them, as well as the heater hoses themselves, before they do it for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"When the heater core T fittings give out I’ll make sure I get the the right replacements........" When they give out, I can pretty much assure you that you won't be at home, and it will be a complete cluster****. You should consider changing them, as well as the heater hoses themselves, before they do it for you.
Just like I would do. replace before a problem.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is that what u replaced the plastic T with instead of just buying the complete hose assembly???? I hadn't seen that before. Looks like a a quick fix but also sounds like you took off the old hose and performce surgery on it.

Yeah the hoses at the heater core are a pain, which is why I said be patient. I should have mentioned heater hose disconnect tools make the disconnecting easier and u also needed a replacement quick connector on the long end of that hose. I did all those hoses and Ts in February to prevent surprises. Probably $100 worth of continental heater hoses and the Delco Ts.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that what u replaced the plastic T with instead of just buying the complete hose assembly???? I hadn't seen that before. Looks like a a quick fix but also sounds like you took off the old hose and performce surgery on it.

Yeah the hoses at the heater core are a pain, which is why I said be patient. I should have mentioned heater hose disconnect tools make the disconnecting easier and u also needed a replacement quick connector on the long end of that hose. I did all those hoses and Ts in February to prevent surprises. Probably $100 worth of continental heater hoses and the Delco Ts.
Like I said I didn’t touch anything at the heater core as it wasn’t necessary. And yes the aluminum 3 opening fitting replaced the factory plastic one down at the water pump.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This comment is just so helpful…. Thanks…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts