Heater Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the relearn with a new blend door - no fix. Also looked at the control head next to it (this is rear) and it looks like I replaced that unsuccessfully a few years back - Amazon told me I already bought one. I'm waiting on my Tech2 clone from China to see if I can learn something.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
Jessup Chevrolet is $189 for diag fee. I'm seeing Tech2 tool for around $240-350 depending on accy's. It's GM specific? Doesn't look like I can use it our Jeep or Nissan? More research! Thanks for replies.

OP
OP
findog78

findog78

Reaction score
I did the relearn with a new blend door - no fix. Also looked at the control head next to it (this is rear) and it looks like I replaced that unsuccessfully a few years back - Amazon told me I already bought one. I'm waiting on my Tech2 clone from China to see if I can learn something.
How much was the clone? I'll be watching to see how it worked.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much was the clone? I'll be watching to see how it worked.
I just ordered a Vetronix Tech2 from chinacardiags.com.
Was on sale for Chinese New Year. Mine was $250 + $72 S&H ($322 total).

Now is $269 + 72 S&H ($341 total).

I didn't see that the one that comes with a hard case offered free shipping, which makes it almost the same as what I paid in the end.

Still great value, I would say. I can't wait to get it! I know I'll get good use out of it. I have a pesky Evap code. I plan to use the Tech2 to verify purge valve, vent valve and solenoids are doing what they should (or not). The Tech2 should help sort out the real cause and save me from playing parts darts game. The Tech2 will likely save much more than what I paid over the next couple of years.

I'll just get a hard case with foam inserts from Harbor Freight. They are about $20-40 depending on what I get.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I got the $370 one or so. Ended up about $50 for the case, really.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never known those youtube resets to work. Always use a Tech-2 or something like a Snap-On Solus, a bi-directional scan tool.

A Tech-2 will pay for itself after the repair. After that, it'll keep saving you money.
that reset works for my truck. seems every time i take the battery out the heater blend doors fail to work.

MikeW

Reaction score
Has anyone gone ahead and had their dash removed, heater core changed and all blend doors? I'm at the 20 year point and have similar heat/blowing issues as above. Think may bite the bullet and have them all done at once.....

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scan tool shipped today - apparently Chinese Spring Break is finally over.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scan tool shipped today - apparently Chinese Spring Break is finally over.
Me too. Mine is due to arrive Wednesday of this week. I am amazed we can get Tech2 scanners shipped from Hong Kong to the US in 1 week, but there are all these "supply chain issues" holding entire industries hostage! As long as I have my Tech2, I'm good!!

Rolexus

Reaction score
Joining this Blend Door conversation late. Last summer in extreme heat and smoke (forest fires) on trip through Rockies (BC), passenger (lower, by feet) Blend Door quit, and blew HOT air into drivers side, even on AC max cold. Only relief was to turn on defrost to cold, and max cold and fan speed in rear cabin upper vents. YouTube re calibration only worked for short time.

My 05 Tahoe has 4 Blend Door Actuators, all identical: 2 in front dash, 2 in rear cabin.

When got home, replaced this bad Blend Door, then recalibrated - worked til recently (see below).

In Dec, temp dropped below zero. Now rear heat didn’t work - only blew cold air. YouTube again... There are 2 Blend Doors in rear cabin - front one (by rear passenger door) controls air flow (upper vs. lower), other one (mid cabin) controls heat to cool setting. Once at operating temp, played with ceiling console controls, able to determine bad Blend Door was ‘heat to cool’ located mid cabin.

Removed trim, replaced bad one (mid-cabin) with real AC Delco, recalibrated. It WORKED!, and the rear fix also affected air flow throughout, including front (recent clicking noise returned, even though was replaced).

Front cabin replacement from last summer was auto parts store generic, so will be changed again with AC Delco.

TIP: easier to access the passenger side Blend Door (lower) ACCESS which controls drivers side IF remove Center console cup holder... still need to work from passenger foot area, but another hand through the top makes it easier for re and re.

Hope this helps some of you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz