Heater Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

findog78

Reaction score
I've been reading through the many many threads on the heater actuator issues. Mine doesn't blow defrost through window vents, it blows hot air randomly through the dash vents with climate control off and its been difficult to pin point which actuator is bad. It seems the one at passenger feet has already been changed by previous owner because the hard to reach screw is missing and I found an actuator in a box under back seat. From what I read there are three and there is lots of different opinions and results. Also opinions about dont buy ACdelco, which part number to buy quality replacement, replace the rear to fix the front two, and on and on. My question is there a sticky or one thread recommended by the salty dogs in hear where someone clearly explains troubleshoot and replacement? Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through the many many threads on the heater actuator issues. Mine doesn't blow defrost through window vents, it blows hot air randomly through the dash vents with climate control off and its been difficult to pin point which actuator is bad. It seems the one at passenger feet has already been changed by previous owner because the hard to reach screw is missing and I found an actuator in a box under back seat. From what I read there are three and there is lots of different opinions and results. Also opinions about dont buy ACdelco, which part number to buy quality replacement, replace the rear to fix the front two, and on and on. My question is there a sticky or one thread recommended by the salty dogs in hear where someone clearly explains troubleshoot and replacement? Thanks!
Well, it's possible that your controller is no good. It is usually a bad actuator. Your issue seems to be the Mode Actuator. A Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool that can read BCM codes will know for sure and even tell you why it failed.

GM OE and ACDelco Professional in this case are the same part, both numbers on the same box.

1643745066145.png
I've been told that this is also for the GMT800s that also have Auto AC.

Double check by plugging your VIN in here:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Dorman for the Driver's Temp that is about 9 years old -- before I knew they could be bad. When my Passenger Temp needed replacing two summers ago, I went Delco because I didn't want to get back in there again, if a bad part were installed.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like it just a abs scanner.

need a high end scanner like a tech 2 or maybe a snap on scanner will work. why the shops charge so much to scan and diag this type of thing. if they do the repair they drop the diag charge, but if you come in just for a diag they will charge you a hr or two easy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the youtube reset procedure didn't work. Autozone rents an Innova 3100 CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool but it doesnt specify BCM codes? Will this work?

I've never known those youtube resets to work. Always use a Tech-2 or something like a Snap-On Solus, a bi-directional scan tool.

A Tech-2 will pay for itself after the repair. After that, it'll keep saving you money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879