Headers on a 6.2L with Stock Muffler/Cat-Back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the tune will have to be redone if I change anything and there’s a very good possibility that this will be the last want I can do to this truck. If I do the headers with the stock exhaust and it turns out sounding fine, if I get another $1000 I can spend on something not exactly necessary I’d probably rather replace and repaint both of my bumper covers.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha I think you just answered your own question. Corsa it is. If you are adding more goodies to where the tune has to be redone and you know Corsa can accommodate your future plans that makes sense.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually leaning more towards the headers because of future possibilities. If I get the headers and do the tune now, I get the benefits of the tune plus a little power bump. If I do decide to get a Corsa later, I don't have to retune for that. Also, if a lifter or something goes bad where I can then justify an aftermarket cam (because I would already be going in there so what's the difference of using aftermarket or stock at that point) then I can use a "bigger" cam because I already have the headers (if I ever did a cam it wouldn't be huge because I don't want to change the torque converter). My only worry with the headers was the sound with the stock cat-back because of that one video. I did find this video of a guy doing 0-100+ with headers and stock catback and it sounds fine, he's also cammed in this video but that shouldn't affect the sound much.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to go with headers and a tune, you will definitely NOT stop there. :)

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually leaning more towards the headers because of future possibilities. If I get the headers and do the tune now, I get the benefits of the tune plus a little power bump. If I do decide to get a Corsa later, I don't have to retune for that. Also, if a lifter or something goes bad where I can then justify an aftermarket cam (because I would already be going in there so what's the difference of using aftermarket or stock at that point) then I can use a "bigger" cam because I already have the headers (if I ever did a cam it wouldn't be huge because I don't want to change the torque converter). My only worry with the headers was the sound with the stock cat-back because of that one video. I did find this video of a guy doing 0-100+ with headers and stock catback and it sounds fine, he's also cammed in this video but that shouldn't affect the sound much.

Thats actually a video from a member on here @randeez

my 2 cents.....if this a daily driver/family hauler I would say go with just the Corsa, if you go with a catted y pipe I don't think you will have an issue with drone but the headers will transmit more engine noise into the cab and while you will get a nice power increase with the tune realistically you will only notice the extra power at WOT...also would like to mention headers are not required to do a cam, I have stock manifolds and Y with a Corsa and a small cam on my 6.2 and it runs great and hauls ass, nothing wrong with doing headers, Im not against them and I have had longtubes on many, many cars and trucks but for me personal preference is factory manifolds and Y with a catback on a daily driver

For reference here is vid of my truck with Kooks Longtubes, off road y pipe and Corsa catback, I later switched it back to factory manifolds and Y pipe, and while it does feel a little slower now overall I am happier with the quieter ride...

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is i,

headers/no cats and stock catback with resonator sounded pretty good to me, no drone, was maybe a touch to loud i wanted to add back in another small muffler/resonator but eventually ditched it due to something rattling inside, internal baffle or something coming loose

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to go with headers and a tune, you will definitely NOT stop there. :)

If I had more money, you'd be correct! I sold an LSA blower to have the money I'm spending on the exhaust.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had more money, you'd be correct! I sold an LSA blower to have the money I'm spending on the exhaust.

I remember buying my Tahoe and thinking I'd keep her clean but wouldn't do any mods.
Then I had a great opportunity to get a Black Bear tune in person, so I did.
Then I wanted a little more sound so installed a Magnaflow muffler.
Lately I keep wondering, since a tune alone has been so fun, what about a cam or a blower and/or headers---what would that be like?
I'm talking myself out of stuff these days on a weekly basis. LOL

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats actually a video from a member on here @randeez

my 2 cents.....if this a daily driver/family hauler I would say go with just the Corsa, if you go with a catted y pipe I don't think you will have an issue with drone but the headers will transmit more engine noise into the cab and while you will get a nice power increase with the tune realistically you will only notice the extra power at WOT...also would like to mention headers are not required to do a cam, I have stock manifolds and Y with a Corsa and a small cam on my 6.2 and it runs great and hauls ass, nothing wrong with doing headers, Im not against them and I have had longtubes on many, many cars and trucks but for me personal preference is factory manifolds and Y with a catback on a daily driver

For reference here is vid of my truck with Kooks Longtubes, off road y pipe and Corsa catback, I later switched it back to factory manifolds and Y pipe, and while it does feel a little slower now overall I am happier with the quieter ride...

It isn't the full time family hauler but for trips and stuff it is. It was supposed to be hers but I fell in love with it and she still likes her 07 SRX and since it was worth so little I just said we'll keep it so she still drives that. My daily driver (still part time daily) before I got this truck is a 2016 Chevy SS sedan manual with heads, cam, headers, into stock dual-mode mufflers (that I always keep the flaps open). and I don't consider it too loud to take on a trip. I traded a Corvette with headers and a Corsa Xtreme for the SS. I did have a Trailblazer SS years ago that was cammed and had headers with a Corsa sport and that actually was kinda loud but mainly I think because of the raspiness the Corsa has.

I know it's possible to do a cam without headers but I talked to three different sources that said I might get 20hp from a cam with the stock exhaust and that isn't worth the effort to me to install it if I can get the same gain just from headers. I was ready to pull the trigger on headers today and now you're making me second guess.... Do you happen to have a video of the same type of run with your current exhaust without the headers?

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember buying my Tahoe and thinking I'd keep her clean but wouldn't do any mods.
Then I had a great opportunity to get a Black Bear tune in person, so I did.
Then I wanted a little more sound so installed a Magnaflow muffler.
Lately I keep wondering, since a tune alone has been so fun, what about a cam or a blower and/or headers---what would that be like?
I'm talking myself out of stuff these days on a weekly basis. LOL

I'm pretty sure "I won't do any mods" has never been uttered from my lips. Lol! I'm just very careful about what I do now because I've had some bad experiences with stuff I've done in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore