HD Hood Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found one in my hometown for $250+tax. Of course I don't live there but my body shop and painter are there. Seems a bit steep, but hoping my buddy will head out to pick it up for me and haggle him down.

Also going by the junk yard where I live to check one out. Might end up going with the cheaper and better condition.

Both would need paint at the very least to match my Bermuda Blue.

And if I buy one or the other I will release the location of the one I didn't buy for those on the lookout! :bleh::bleh:

Keep Y'all posted

Update: The one in El Paso, TX is gone. It was there when I called in the morning and gone after work.....also sold for $250

Last edited:

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a brand new aftermarket HD hood? My paint guy quoted me around $250 for it. Which is the same as some of these used hoods I've been too late to get have been going for. Just wondering while I still search for a HD hood at the junk yards

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a brand new aftermarket HD hood? My paint guy quoted me around $250 for it. Which is the same as some of these used hoods I've been too late to get have been going for. Just wondering while I still search for a HD hood at the junk yards
Supposedly the fit of the aftermarkets aren't that good. But I'd think a good body guy could manipulate it for a better looking fit. I guess it would be just a matter of preference on your part.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the fit of the aftermarkets aren't that good. But I'd think a good body guy could manipulate it for a better looking fit. I guess it would be just a matter of preference on your part.

Yea its just getting harder and harder to find actual HD hoods. So it might come down to the aftermarket, but i haven't given up yet

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yea its just getting harder and harder to find actual HD hoods. So it might come down to the aftermarket, but i haven't given up yet
I'd ask your body guy how well does he think he could get all the gaps to line up. I'd get a good brand too, like Goodmark. Try to stay away from the cheap stuff.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What did anybody pay for paint? My guy wants 650 installed. Feels a little high. I asked about saving on the install and he said the install doesn't really cost anything, and this way he can buff it with the fenders. I've seen his work, it's awesome and I trust him, but $650?! Thoughts?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did anybody pay for paint? My guy wants 650 installed. Feels a little high. I asked about saving on the install and he said the install doesn't really cost anything, and this way he can buff it with the fenders. I've seen his work, it's awesome and I trust him, but $650?! Thoughts?

$650 just for paint and install? Or including the hood? Including the hood, that's not bad. Paint should be $200 ish if there's NOTHING he has to do except scuff and spray. Then 1 hour install time so $300-$350 would be what I would expect from a shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10