Have power won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1st. I am not James R. but I have a starter problem with my 2007 Z71 hoe.
1GNFK13037R326457
Pulled into my driveway today and she just shut down. No start.
Reading through all your wise advise I tried it all and here it is: 1st click on the key shows the engine light, second shows the status of the warning lights, third click engine cranks fast as usual but doesn't catch ( with my foot on the brake and the gas floored ). Tried it in N and the same results. I didn't swap any relays. Any ideas? I always check with you all first. Thanks much.
My 98 stepside always is my backup thank the lord, so I'm good .
Going out to pick up my grandson who wants the pickup, so I'll look forward to any of your thoughts and advice.

Like has been said, basics first. Gotta have compression, fuel pressure and spark for an engine to run. Tests are needed and results posted here, with pics if see something we should see.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st. I am not James R. but I have a starter problem with my 2007 Z71 hoe.
1GNFK13037R326457
Pulled into my driveway today and she just shut down. No start.
Reading through all your wise advise I tried it all and here it is: 1st click on the key shows the engine light, second shows the status of the warning lights, third click engine cranks fast as usual but doesn't catch ( with my foot on the brake and the gas floored ). Tried it in N and the same results. I didn't swap any relays. Any ideas? I always check with you all first. Thanks much.
My 98 stepside always is my backup thank the lord, so I'm good .
Going out to pick up my grandson who wants the pickup, so I'll look forward to any of your thoughts and advice.

Gas floored is a flood clear, wouldn’t start I should think.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the OP (if they ever do come back LOL) I had a 97 PU that got its starter replaced in a walmart parking lot because i did not check the AC compressor. The AC compressor was locked up and with key off you could rotate the engine by hand because the AC clutch is not engaged unless the key switch is on!. 2 seconds to unplug the AC compressor clutch is NOW my first move if nothing else is making sense. just sayin that there is some crazy stuff that happens.

2ndTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all, never noticed the fuel pump running before but there's no hum now, I'll give the tank a thump in the AM. What would have caused it to shut down after a 20 mile run? I've had problems with a 'security system not allowing a start but then it wouldn't even crank. I don't have any kind of testers other than a vom so can't go any deeper than checking fuses and power.
BTW sorry to jump on another post but the OP got my attention to look for your thoughts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get spark testers and inexpensive fuel pressure gauges for not much money and recommend a mechanic's stethoscope too. Basics for help checking your rig.

The thump on the tank sometimes "excites" the fuel pump and will start pumping fuel again but it is NOT A FIX. I have no idea what MAY have caused it to shut down, if in fact it did.

You can do a quick spark check though. Pull a plug wire of a plug, stick a screwdriver end in the end of the wire and make sure you are touching the metal end of the wire that would attach at the spark plug tip. I have even taken a smaller/slimmer screwdriver and pushed the tip in between the outside of that metal plug wire tip and the inside rubber of the boot to help supply some pressure for a good contact. Then while cranking the engine over, you hold the metal body of the screwdriver close to a metal edge, like the edge of the block where the plug still is, and get within 1/8" and see if spark jumps across that gap. The inexpensive spark testers plug in between the wire and the plug and you can see the spark inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo