Have power won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have power, but it won't start, I've had the starter and alternator tested, bought a new battery, changed the key lock cylinder, if I leave for 3-4 days it'll start, but will only start maybe 2-3 times and return to not starting

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with both posts above. The current draw is large when starting. If you have any corrosion in your cable connections, ground connection, etc., an intermittent open circuit will usually show up.

Another thing to check is the Crank Relay.

Not sure what make/model/year you have, but on most, the main fuse/relay box is under the hood on the drivers side. Pop the cover off and look for the rectangular relay called like Crank on the diagram under the lid. The rear window defogger relay is usually the same as the Crank relay, so you can swap them for a while and see if the intermittent no start goes goes away. You can also check to make sure you are getting power to that relay (if swapping doesn't fix it) but putting a test light bulb or volt meter on it and turning the key to start.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely pointless to speculate - too little information provided by OP. This is barely one step past, "My car won't go. What's wrong?"

Does it click?
Does the engine crank?
Does it crank normally, or is it cranking slower?
If it cranks, does it sound like it catches at all? Any sign of ignition?
If it cranks, have you tried holding the gas pedal to the floor?
Have you tried starting it in neutral?

See where I'm going with this? Lots of smart people on here, but they're not psychic.

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Might as well add testing for compression to the list of troubleshooting too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a funny story. A woman I went to college with called me up one Saturday afternoon and asked me if I knew anything about motorcycles. I had helped move her husband's motorcycle after he left on a 6 month Navy deployment. Seems he couldn't get to it before he left so me and a few civilians moved it for her. Oh yeah, and she gave us beer! Anyway, it's 6 months later and he's back...with his Navy buddies. I can hear him ranting & cussing at her because it won't start and you & YOUR friends moved it...so they must have BOKE IT. So I go over and they have moved the motorcycle and are trying desperately to get this POS started. It's a HONDA 500 with an automatic transmission. Yeah I thought the same thing....WHAT'S THE POINT! So I go over pull in the clutch, hit the starter and it started right up. Seems they had forgotten that the clutch needed to be depressed for the starter to engage. Oh, well. I laughed the whole way home. The embarrassed looks on their faces was priceless!

Had a similar thing happen with a loved one. It clearly stated on the display that you needed to depress the brake pedal when starting. Important, but easily overlooked! LOL!!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Absolutely pointless to speculate - too little information provided by OP. This is barely one step past, "My car won't go. What's wrong?"

Does it click?
Does the engine crank?
Does it crank normally, or is it cranking slower?
If it cranks, does it sound like it catches at all? Any sign of ignition?
If it cranks, have you tried holding the gas pedal to the floor?
Have you tried starting it in neutral?

See where I'm going with this? Lots of smart people on here, but they're not psychic.

Beat me to it. The usual needs inspected for clean tight connections and what numbers are we working with for the battery and draw when cranking? I also wanted to know about the cranking speed and rhythm. When not starting is the engine cranking at all or is it cranking normal speed but engine will just not fire off? You just let sit and eventually starts?

By the way, welcome to the forum from Oregon. Also, how about some vehicle info.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I disagree you need to be a clairvoyant to offer likely accurate suggestions to fix an engine that won't turn over. Am I jumping to conclusions that it isn't turning over when he tries to start it and it won't start? Sure.

But if someone comes on and says his engine won't start and he has replaced the battery, had the starter tested and replaced the ignition key cylinder, while it is a jump to think his starter likely wasn't turning, it isn't too much of a leap. The list of things it might be, given he has a new battery and has had his starter tested good, well, isn't that long a list and most of the likely ones have been mentioned.

But then, maybe his engine does turn over when it won't start. If he comes back at all and we find out that is the case, it will likely be a longer and more rewarding thread for all who like to solve puzzles.

Come to think of it, I might be jumping to conclusions it was a he. I mean, just because someone picks a handle of James, doesn't make them a he...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu