Have power won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I talk to anyone who said, "It won't start", I immediately ask, "Does the engine spin/crank and not start or does it not turn over/crank, like a dead battery?" Then they would typically latch on to the one word I said that they understood and that was, "I know the battery is good". Then I would have to say, "No, I am not saying the battery is dead, I am asking about the symptoms". I would remind them that "engine will not start" is a very wide area to look for problems and my asking them for info, as a service manager, will save them money. I had to tell them that narrowing down the field of the problem makes it faster for the tech and therefore less expensive for the customer.

Too many times they have no idea what is going on and they don't want to sound like they are clueless, so they latch on to something they know about, like the "battery".

I threw a guy out of my shop one time when he refused to shut up while I was asking the owner of the vehicle, his girlfriend, questions about her vehicle problems and he would not stop throwing in his own assumptions and thoughts of how we should proceed with the diagnostics. The girlfriend thanked me and when we replaced her failed alternator and worn belt and she came back to pick up her car she told me she broke up with her "know it all" ex-boyfriend.

We both LOFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home wrecker. :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The vehicle owner was happy with her vehicle repair and she had a big smile on her face when she told me he was gone. I think he knew about VW bugs from 1966 to 1972 or something.

JK

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, comes in and stirs up controversy over what not starting means and doesn’t even come back to explain. F’in newbs.

Actually, it could be a very effective tactic for a competitive forum to undermine participation of a more successful forum of its most valuable members.

Just come on daily basis as a "new member", post a question with not enough information and never come back. Pretty soon the most valuable members are jumping all over real (as opposed to fake) newbies, causing the new genuine posters who are actually looking for real data and just inexperienced about what might be expected to actually get an answer to be turned off. Self sustaining damage.

Pretty soon, no new blood and no veteran participants (as they are sick of all the fake newbies screwing around with them).

I have counted 3 of these style posts (not saying they are, just look like that) in the last couple of days.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, all new members should have to post their Introduction in that section before they can even ask for help. So many times, a new member is only here when they want help and then you never hear from them again, even to just post SOLVED at the thread.

@Rocket Man is correct though, that SO many people asking for help don't even supply minimal info. They think that ALL Tahoes and Yukons and Escalades are all exactly the same and operate the exact same way no matter the year, make, model or engine size.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are enough 500+ posters here to request more info at least once.
What really bothers me is BOTS are getting quite good at postings elsewhere, once they figure out the tech terms we are skrood.
On the planes, we switched to electronic documents. In 3 years Computer could forcast maint and hours with 97 percent accuracy. And that was long ago in computer time.

2ndTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1st. I am not James R. but I have a starter problem with my 2007 Z71 hoe.
1GNFK13037R326457
Pulled into my driveway today and she just shut down. No start.
Reading through all your wise advise I tried it all and here it is: 1st click on the key shows the engine light, second shows the status of the warning lights, third click engine cranks fast as usual but doesn't catch ( with my foot on the brake and the gas floored ). Tried it in N and the same results. I didn't swap any relays. Any ideas? I always check with you all first. Thanks much.
My 98 stepside always is my backup thank the lord, so I'm good .
Going out to pick up my grandson who wants the pickup, so I'll look forward to any of your thoughts and advice.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you hear the fuel pump running for a second or two on the 2nd click of the key? Sometimes a bang on the fuel tank will get the pump to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo