Have a weird noise when I'm driving, wondered if y'all might be able to help me diagnose it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2010 GMC Yukon XL. I'm getting what almost sounds like a rubbing noise when I go straight or to the left. When I go right at all, it stops. I've crawled under and made sure all the plastic pieces are still in place, and everything seems fine. I can't find any debris near the brake pads. What else do I need to check? It's not a crazy loud sound, but it's noticable for sure. Before I crawled under, I was almost 100% sure the front left tire was just barely touching a piece of trim plastic. Thoughts? Wheel bearing, maybe?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
2010 GMC Yukon XL. I'm getting what almost sounds like a rubbing noise when I go straight or to the left. When I go right at all, it stops. I've crawled under and made sure all the plastic pieces are still in place, and everything seems fine. I can't find any debris near the brake pads. What else do I need to check? It's not a crazy loud sound, but it's noticable for sure. Before I crawled under, I was almost 100% sure the front left tire was just barely touching a piece of trim plastic. Thoughts? Wheel bearing, maybe?

How many miles on the Yuk???

Wheel bearing would probably be my first guess but hard to say without hearing it.

You could Jack the truck up until the front wheel is off the ground and then grab the tire at 12 and 6, OR 1200 and 1800 if you prefer, and push and pull to see if there is any play.

Top and bottom should be no play.

3 and 9 or left and right should be very little play, due to steering components.

If you have play top to bottom replace the wheel bearing/hub assembly. Oh, and check both sides.

miami592

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the 2010 still use the shoes for the e brake? Had same issue on my 01. New bearing did not make noise go away on turn. When I replaced rear brakes I noticed on of the e brake shoes was hung on th rotor hat and wore funny. Replace rotor & e brakes shoes. Problem was solved.

Good luck. Hope this helps- M5

OP
OP
G

GreyYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
stock tires?
They are not stocks, but they've been on it for about10k miles before the noise started, so I don't think it's just road noise.

kbuskill: it has 212k miles, but I purchased it with 200k from a dealer, so I don't know too much about previous maintenance.

I will jack it up tomorrow and see if there's play in the front tires. I'll also check and make sure the e brake is fully disengaged, just in case.

Is there a reason that you're all betting on the right hand side?

Thanks everybody, I'll update with my findings for those that Google brings later

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 on the wheel bearings, I usually change both when I lose one (the right side always seems to go first) ; resist the urge to buy the discount bearings and go with the Timken. They are pretty quick and easy to change but still not worth multiple times to get the life that one set of Timken's will give you ;)