Hard Water

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I live has very hard water. It leaves white residue all over my windows and the paint. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Drying isnt really an option as it usually dries before I complete the wash. When I waxed it last time I washed it the spots were gone but I can not feasibly wax it every couple of weeks. Any suggestions would be great. I added a inline RV type filter to filter the water but that didnt help. Thanks for the replies.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wet down the whole car to keep it cool before beginning wash. When you rinse off soap keep rewetting areas already washed to keep the entire truck cool and water from flash drying. Shade helps too(if you can find it). Before drying rewet whole truck again so water cannot spot. Then dry furiously. Usually going around twice with a microfiber in each hand is enough for me. Then just go over glass with Stoners and you're done. Water out here is also very hard

sennister

Reaction score
We also have a problem with hard water. When I wash the truck this time of year it turns to ice before I can dry it off.....

Anyhow back to your problem. Do you have a water softener? We have our house set up so there is two feed lines going through the garage to the outside faucet. One is soft water the other hard well water. If washing cars, shut off the hard water and use soft. If watering the plants use hard as the soft water will harm them. Or just use two separate faucets. In our case it was easier to use the single faucets with shutoffs to select water because our faucet is through a block wall.

It still doesn't help my hard water problem this time of year though....

OP
OP
byrds6

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly we rent this house and there is no separate line that is being filtered.

FuzzyChopz

Reaction score
Try a hose filter that will eliminate the hard minerals. Like a "Mr. Clean Autodry Carwash System with Starter Filter". There are other hose filters out there too. You could use the
Filtered water for the final rinse.

jcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wipe it down with white vinegar and water 50/50 on a moist (not wet) rag; after washing.

Last edited:

FuzzyChopz

Reaction score
Jcu, what does that do? I would like to try it. It doesn't mess up the paint?

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you get the water off rub some rejex on your paint. If you dont know what it is then google it. water and dirt wont stick to your paint, windows lights or what ever you put on.I put it on all my cars. Love the stuff!

jcu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure how or why it works but it does, I've never had a issue with it on my paint or the gel coat on the boat. They also make a product called "Ducky" that is essentially the same thing but costs 100x more. I've used it for many years.

crazycoupe

Rollin Low
Reaction score
Kinda expensive but performanceboatcandy has some stuff called speed gloss and it works wonders on my boat. Takes the water spots right off. Just a suggestion .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo