Hard start and running lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riordan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After installing a spectre intake my vehicle now runs lean and gives me difficulty starting occasionally. Before installing I a new flowmaster true dual put on and had no issues with only the exhaust. Sometimes throws lean codes P0171 and P0174 but typically at idle or under load, I had the engine light on just a couple days ago and it went away while driving. Even though the light is gone my fuel trim is still definitely out of whack by looking at it using my OBD2 scanner. I've replaced numerous parts including spark plugs, wires, coils, fuel pump, throttle body has been cleaned at a mechanic shop and the MAF sensor. None seem to fix my issue and now I am looking to find some sort of fix ASAP.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok looking at some other intake systems for your truck im going to bet you need a tune to run that intake. if you look at several other higher priced intakes for your truck the intake hose is necked down where the maf goes. it does that because the factory tune limits what it will accept from your maf or something like that. its a cai issue on several gm vehicles probably other makes also but im only aware of gm. so you can get a tune or put your stock intake back on and return the spectre or return the spectre and buy a more expensive version from a different company.

OP
OP
Riordan

Riordan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok looking at some other intake systems for your truck im going to bet you need a tune to run that intake. if you look at several other higher priced intakes for your truck the intake hose is necked down where the maf goes. it does that because the factory tune limits what it will accept from your maf or something like that. its a cai issue on several gm vehicles probably other makes also but im only aware of gm. so you can get a tune or put your stock intake back on and return the spectre or return the spectre and buy a more expensive version from a different company.

Can you recommend a tuner that would fit in case I end up having to get one?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BlackBearPerf
they are the top pick around here
however any local tuning shop can probably handle atleast getting it to recognize a larger intake. outside of that i wouldn't be able to tell you. im only aware of the issue and why some aftermarket intakes for some vehicles have the maf location necked down.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After installing a spectre intake my vehicle now runs lean and gives me difficulty starting occasionally. Before installing I a new flowmaster true dual put on and had no issues with only the exhaust. Sometimes throws lean codes P0171 and P0174 but typically at idle or under load, I had the engine light on just a couple days ago and it went away while driving. Even though the light is gone my fuel trim is still definitely out of whack by looking at it using my OBD2 scanner. I've replaced numerous parts including spark plugs, wires, coils, fuel pump, throttle body has been cleaned at a mechanic shop and the MAF sensor. None seem to fix my issue and now I am looking to find some sort of fix ASAP.

You might want to keep your issues in one thread and not start multiple threads for the same problem. That way the answers you get will be more consistent.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to keep your issues in one thread and not start multiple threads for the same problem. That way the answers you get will be more consistent.
Yeah I was gonna say I thought I already commented on this issue. This is how the forum gets filled with a bunch of the same stuff over and over.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP Riordan already has this same thread in this section. One thread is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65