Haed Gasket R&R on a 96 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m610

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's time. The stop-leak worked for a while.

I've done this job on other (simpler) cars, so I'm not intimidated by this. It's just that the details are different, starting with how to disconnect the wiring bundle that comes through the firewall on the passenger side. The bundle goes over the top of the engine. I've heard that the connectors, over time, weld themselves together.

Any advice?

(1996 Tahoe, 4-door, 5.7 Vortec, automatic and 4WD)

Mike

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you saying that you need to unhook all of it to have head removal access? IMO, just disconnect at the ends and bungie cord the whole mess out of the way. I have a sack of different length bungie cords just for that purpose. Supply a pic and I can maybe help with a better choice.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my lower intake gasket, I carefully pulled up on the "tab" of the connectors just enough to clear the "ramp" as I pulled and wiggled. They are plastic and fragile so stay away from prying with a screwdriver. I labeled all male and female connectors with painters tape, for easy reassembly. Once the harness is all disconnected, just stow off to the sides. You can remove and stow your A/C compressor off to the passenger side without disconnecting the lines.

IMG_4776.jpeg

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also hit the fittings at your EGR tube with penetrating fluid NOW. I had to use a cutoff wheel at the fitting at the exhaust, so I could fit a deep socket and impact gun on it.

IMG_4842.jpegIMG_4841.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If and when I break off a lock tab at a connector, when I reinstall, I just use small zip ties to hold together. A quick snip of the tie reopens at a later date.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others said, bungee the harness up and it gives you room to pull the heads. Check YouTube, there are videos showing it that should be helpful. In case you need the size, here’s the block thread chaser…

IMG_4876.jpeg

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you come to the diagnosis of a head gasket? If you remove the head I would have it pressure tested, those castings are thin and prone to cracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia