Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Could've just been a defective stud. It makes sense to me to tighten the bottom bolts first so they do most of the locating, then tighten the nut on the stud, so that's what I did. The hub sits inside of that hole in the spindle, so that supports most of the weight, just like the lip inside the bore of the wheel does most of the centering/locating rather than the lug studs.

If it can't withstand my driving, then it doesn't belong on my vehicle.

If that was a factory bolt, it would be torqued to 133 foot pounds. 75 seems awfully little.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The curiosity was eating at me:

Belltech was able to have that top bolt fit because they made their spindle about 1.25" taller overall. Obviously, this affects the ball joint angle(s). I know GM was stroking McG for their design years ago, and I believe this was because they maintained (most of?) the factory geometries. Maybe the spindle height/ball joint angle thing was the kicker.

spindles-jpg.jpg

Now I'm wondering if the newer Belltech spindle, the 2511, has modified mounting bosses for the ball joints to alleviate the angles when lowered beyond the 2" (alleged) from the spindle.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that was a factory bolt, it would be torqued to 133 foot pounds. 75 seems awfully little.

Correct. And I torqued those bottom two bolts to 133 ft.-lbs.

The top is a stud that doesn't thread into the hub, it just clamps it to the spindle, so it doesn't need a lot of torque. It's like a lug stud on a small car- you only need to torque it to pinch the wheel between the lug nut and the hub flange. According to a chart on Tirerack, a 12mm lug stud has a typical torque range of 70-80 ft.-lbs. A few performance-oriented sites showed 85 ft.-lbs., +/- 5 ft.-lbs. Also, unlike lug studs, this one is in a relatively static environment.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
I don't recall you ever mentioning this. I may or may not have to spy on your thread more...
Tbh I don't post as much as I should on my thread. I don't think I did ever mention this tbh. What's your LSA?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbh I don't post as much as I should on my thread. I don't think I did ever mention this tbh. What's your LSA?

114. If I had ordered the cam new, I likely would've went with the 112. But, this was a $100 hook-up, so I can't complain! Also, I'd like to boost this thing a little, so the 114 LSA would be more appropriate.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
114. If I had ordered the cam new, I likely would've went with the 112. But, this was a $100 hook-up, so I can't complain! Also, I'd like to boost this thing a little, so the 114 LSA would be more appropriate.
Mine is 112

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts