Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a way to make this thing as quiet as possible, like 100% stock quiet but without choking off the flow. Any suggestions? Don't worry, I have a method to my madness. Maybe I'll post in a more general forum.

put an additional bullet style muffler on it. It’ll help quite a bit

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caught a minute to make an "after tune" idle vid:

@Rocket Man
I like it but not as much as the first one you posted. I can’t wait to get my headers on and get my re-tune. I don’t get why Justin has mine idling at about 800 rpm. I’m not going to try to get mine all that quiet or at least I don’t think I am. Might be different once I get there though.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it but not as much as the first one you posted. I can’t wait to get my headers on and get my re-tune. I don’t get why Justin has mine idling at about 800 rpm. I’m not going to try to get mine all that quiet or at least I don’t think I am. Might be different once I get there though.

I agree! Pre-tune sounded nastier. Also, that was with no muffler and the post-tune vid is through the muffler. Before the tune, it was loading up and surging and stalled if I didn't goose the throttle before putting it in gear. It would eventually settle at an idle with the A/C off, but the A/C cycling, it was all over the place. It's currently on the ragged edge of what's acceptable for the fueling and timing at idle to maintain the lope. I've had a spell or two of surging and it stalled once after idling for a long time with the A/C on and then putting it in gear.

I want mine quiet only because I'm getting an electric cutout and I'll have the option to be loud. Actually, if it works as planned, I'll have a range of infinite adjustment/volume control between the muffled and not. I'm thinking it'll sound much more like the pre-tune vid through the cutout.

Oh- I think the idle is set for ~625, going by the factory tach. I watched it for a little yesterday and that seemed to be the average RPM.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22" muffler, 3" flex pipe, DPDT rocker switch and universal weld-on exhaust hangers all delivered yesterday. Also picked up an 8' piece of 3" exhaust tubing from a local shop. Grabbed the two pieces of 3" bends from my stock just in case. Dual 2.5" to single 3" merge pipe should be here tomorrow.

Pretty pics-

Work phone (Galaxy S7) for size reference:

IMG_2418.JPG

Just a fat glasspack:

IMG_2419.JPG

The factory flex pipe is about 6" so I got this shorter one since I'll be cramped for space. I may send it back and try something else cuz it is STIFF! I may as well just use a solid pipe!:

XLLD0568.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil last Saturday. Dumped the 10W-30 Super Tech conventional and long Wix filter I used for the first start and shakedown and replaced it with Rotella T6 and long K&N filter.

I know I've said it before, but damn it looks good under here for 200,000 miles!

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

Enjoy the zinc, ol' girl!

IMG_2395.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Collected all the materials I have on hand for the exhaust mods to make mental notes and see if I should order anything else before the slicing commences:

IMG_2455.JPG

Also snapped a pic and am uploading it here to make it easier to use as a sig pic. This may be temporary but at least it's more up-to-date than my previous one:

5.3sigpic1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*Yawn*

Coolant flush. That's about it as of late.

Well, I did clean up about two quarts of Rotella 15W-40 from the rear floorboard last weekend. Most was caught by the WeatherTechs, but a lot was channeled to the outer edges and got into the carpet and jute padding and under the door sill plates, mostly all on the driver's side. It flowed to the front and made the door seal wrinkle up like fried bacon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442