Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing work.

Thank you!

Still at a standstill. I'm trying to find the weight of my motor to calculate where to reposition the Tahoe on the lift to have it as balanced as possible. I wanna do the trans work with it in the air.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Still at a standstill. I'm trying to find the weight of my motor to calculate where to reposition the Tahoe on the lift to have it as balanced as possible. I wanna do the trans work with it in the air.

I did my swap on the floor. Don't do that.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my swap on the floor. Don't do that.

Lol
I try to do anything I can standing. Old knees and back require it. Plus I built a drain pan specifically for tasks on the lift and I have yet to use it.

I'm just dropping the pan to change the filter and installing the servos in the side- if that other one would ever get here.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thank you!

Just put your lift arms where you normally do and then put a couple chains over the top of the frame and around the bottom of the lift arms and stick a bolt through the links to hold the chain together.

If chain won't fit between the frame and body then I guess you could use a heavy duty strap like a tow strap or ratchet strap.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put your lift arms where you normally do and then put a couple chains over the top of the frame and around the bottom of the lift arms and stick a bolt through the links to hold the chain together.

If chain won't fit between the frame and body then I guess you could use a heavy duty strap like a tow strap or ratchet strap.

I'm not much concerned about it tipping off the arms, I just like it to be centered so there's as little weight as possible pulling on the column anchors.

My educated guess is that my 5.3 is about 550lbs. Estimating the Tahoe's curb weight is 5,300lbs. makes 550lbs. about 10.5% of the weight. Is it as simple as moving it forward 10.5% from the current balancing point I have marked?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm not much concerned about it tipping off the arms, I just like it to be centered so there's as little weight as possible pulling on the column anchors.

My educated guess is that my 5.3 is about 550lbs. Estimating the Tahoe's curb weight is 5,300lbs. makes 550lbs. about 10.5% of the weight. Is it as simple as moving it forward 10.5% from the current balancing point I have marked?

Maybe... possibly... heck, I don't know... if I knew I wouldn't have told you to use a chain or strap... lol

That would make sense logically to me though.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, the engine weight isn't exclusively on the front end. It's part of the total weight and it still loads the rear some. Buuuut, the engine is well ahead of the balancing point. The Tahoe has a weight distribution of 52/48, so the balancing point is just ahead of center, which I found to be right at/just in front of the front door handle.

I'm picturing the Tahoe hanging by a cable connected at that balance point, like a Christmas tree ornament. If you removed 10.5% of the weight from the area in front that balance, the Tahoe would tip back, nose to the sky. But if you moved that hanging cable back 10.5%- would it balance again? I don't think it's that simple... Or is it? Or is it plenty close enough to not ramble on any more about it?