Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the upfitter guide should show the center, it has diagrams

I found the center of balance for a stock vehicle and marked the shop floor to align that center with the center of the lift's columns. Those upfitter guides don't account for a missing engine!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, the engine weight isn't exclusively on the front end. It's part of the total weight and it still loads the rear some. Buuuut, the engine is well ahead of the balancing point. The Tahoe has a weight distribution of 52/48, so the balancing point is just ahead of center, which I found to be right at/just in front of the front door handle.

I'm picturing the Tahoe hanging by a cable connected at that balance point, like a Christmas tree ornament. If you removed 10.5% of the weight from the area in front that balance, the Tahoe would tip back, nose to the sky. But if you moved that hanging cable back 10.5%- would it balance again? I don't think it's that simple... Or is it? Or is it plenty close enough to not ramble on any more about it?

Well, I spoke my piece... I would chain it and not waste anymore time and brain cells... but that's me... I am certain you will figure it out as you are very persistent.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the spare tire, remove the 3rd row seats and drain the fuel tank and your CG shouldn’t more more than 8”-12”. You could always put some 70# bags of tube sand on the front floor board.

I'm almost there- 1/4 tank or less and them seats are rarely in place. I estimated my curb weight accordingly.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd put one jack stand on one side where I figure the middle is, then jack it up on the other side and fine tune.

Now THIS is some crazy shit I just might do! I have some really thick angle iron I'd put between the jack stand and frame to spread out the load to not bend the frame.

Thanks for the idea... I think... Maybe. lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now THIS is some crazy shit I just might do! I have some really thick angle iron I'd put between the jack stand and frame to spread out the load to not bend the frame.

Thanks for the idea... I think... Maybe. lol
you only have to lift it up a little bit to find the fulcrum, no engine so should be pretty light anyway