Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About that CL find: It was rolls of B-Quiet sound deadener for $25/roll. It's 12" wide and 50' long, so 50^2 feet. I'm pretty sure it's not butyl, but it doesn't stink like asphalt. I'm thinking it's a "rubberized asphalt". I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the whole Tahoe with it, so I bought just one roll since I was already there and I'm sure to have a use for it somewhere. I'm researching it and will go back for another two or three rolls if I determine it'll be safe to use. If anything, I'll use it on the floorpan and use butyl on the vertical surfaces (and roof, if I go that far).

What do y'all think? I'll post up specs on it if I can find them.

B218824F-8C3D-4257-99C0-90A2D5160948_zpsyvjjbmq1.jpg

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It feels good to work. We all love to complain but deep down we all love to work.

True. But that loft is a major pain in the knees. I'm moving around and cutting 4'x8' sheets of 5/8" plywood in 3-4 foot of headroom, so I'm doing it all on my knees. It'll pay off soon enough, though!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did the seller say it was originally used for?

He said he bought it for some "variable frequency drives", but bought too much for the job. I assume he meant it was for the cabinets in which the VFD controllers were mounted. Maybe they're sensitive to vibrations?

You just sparked a thought- I should ask him for some details of that job and if these VFDs were outside. The date on the shipping label for the B-Quiet is 2010. If the VFDs have been in service outside for 7 years and this stuff is still stuck to the walls of those cabinets, then it should be fine for use in a car and I should go scoop up a few more rolls.

I'll contact him today and report back.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
True. But that loft is a major pain in the knees. I'm moving around and cutting 4'x8' sheets of 5/8" plywood in 3-4 foot of headroom, so I'm doing it all on my knees. It'll pay off soon enough, though!
You need some of those gel knee pads! They help big time.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need some of those gel knee pads! They help big time.

That's exactly what I have on. They're awesome and an absolute necessity, but the weight is still on these old knees. :(

I'm just taking short breaks after every sheet is screwed down since I have to come down to grab the next sheet, anyway. I'm hoping to have it finished this evening.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:D

I see what you're saying.

Those are either from my S10 or the XJ. The floor is really smooth so it's easy to spin 'em. A half-assed blip of the throttle in the S10 would squeal 'em. I locked the brakes pulling the XJ in the shop a few times, too. Jenn doesn't spin the tires, but she does a decent amount of city driving some days for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71