Grinding Noise Accelerating from Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MickeyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening all.

I have an issue with my truck that I'm hoping I can get help with. For reference, it's a 2009 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 flex fuel, with 153,000 miles on it.

The problem I have had is that when I first accelerate from a stop, I hear a severe grinding noise that seems to come from the front driver wheel. It almost sounds like grinding gears in a manual. The sound is there only in the first 5-10 MPH of speed, then once I'm up to speed, it's gone.

Now, this truck has not been driven hard. However, in the past 6 months or so, I've started towing with it intermittently. It's a 10,000 pound equipment trailer, and I've towed tractors, building supplies, etc. intermittently. This week, we had 3 days in a row of a lot of towing on country roads (read: lots of hills). It was on the last day on the way home that I first noticed the sound when pulling away from a traffic light (that morning we had 7,500 pounds behind the truck, at the time of the problem we had 3,500 pounds behind it).

After getting home, and spending a bit of time with the truck, we realized the driver side motor mount was completely dead. Now, I had the mount replaced only 13,000 miles ago. I had bought what was available at Advance (an Anchor mount), then realized that it was beyond me to replace because of the truck being a 4x4, so I took the truck and the mount to my local dealer (with whom my family has a great relationship with) and they put in my Anchor mount.

It's only now that I read just how horrible the Anchor mounts can be. Lesson learned there. I now have an appointment with the dealership to have a new mount installed (this time, it's OEM or whatever they have at the dealership).

My question is, though, what exactly would have been rubbing to cause the sound. I understand that the recent increased torque load can wreak havoc on an old drive train. I just want to know what else I should look for. In one post somewhere online, I read that someone had the same behavior as me and it was the transmission mount. I also read somewhere that it can be a bad transmission torque dampener. I'm not sure what that is, or how to diagnose that.

So, I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, what exactly was causing the sound?

Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jack up the front wheels so they are off the ground and spin them by hand while listening for noise they should be nearly silent, sounds like you may have a bad wheel hub, you can a also grab the wheel at 12 & 6 and see if it wiggles it should not wiggle, there will be some play at 9 & 3 due to steering components

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all.

I have an issue with my truck that I'm hoping I can get help with. For reference, it's a 2009 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 flex fuel, with 153,000 miles on it.

The problem I have had is that when I first accelerate from a stop, I hear a severe grinding noise that seems to come from the front driver wheel. It almost sounds like grinding gears in a manual. The sound is there only in the first 5-10 MPH of speed, then once I'm up to speed, it's gone.

Now, this truck has not been driven hard. However, in the past 6 months or so, I've started towing with it intermittently. It's a 10,000 pound equipment trailer, and I've towed tractors, building supplies, etc. intermittently. This week, we had 3 days in a row of a lot of towing on country roads (read: lots of hills). It was on the last day on the way home that I first noticed the sound when pulling away from a traffic light (that morning we had 7,500 pounds behind the truck, at the time of the problem we had 3,500 pounds behind it).

After getting home, and spending a bit of time with the truck, we realized the driver side motor mount was completely dead. Now, I had the mount replaced only 13,000 miles ago. I had bought what was available at Advance (an Anchor mount), then realized that it was beyond me to replace because of the truck being a 4x4, so I took the truck and the mount to my local dealer (with whom my family has a great relationship with) and they put in my Anchor mount.

It's only now that I read just how horrible the Anchor mounts can be. Lesson learned there. I now have an appointment with the dealership to have a new mount installed (this time, it's OEM or whatever they have at the dealership).

My question is, though, what exactly would have been rubbing to cause the sound. I understand that the recent increased torque load can wreak havoc on an old drive train. I just want to know what else I should look for. In one post somewhere online, I read that someone had the same behavior as me and it was the transmission mount. I also read somewhere that it can be a bad transmission torque dampener. I'm not sure what that is, or how to diagnose that.

So, I would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, what exactly was causing the sound?

Thanks in advance!

I'd HIGHLY recommend having the mount replaced with a passenger side one from a 2010 Hummer H3 (V8). I think the part number is 25847739. Otherwise, you'll be paying for it all over again much too soon since you tow. The OEM water balloon mounts pop in short order on rigs that are just street-driven without towing. If it's worth it to you, I'd advise you replace both mounts. and the transmission mount. You'll need two of the H3 passenger side mounts to do both the driver and passenger side of your Tahoe. Hopefully, your dealer will allow it. They usually will not install a part that isn't original to your specific vehicle, but it's absolutely worth trying. You'll just need a standard replacement for the trans mount, and you could replace it yourself if you can change your own oil.

As for the noise on acceleration, it could be bad hub bearing, CV joint or something in the front differential. Performing the tests others have already outlined would help to narrow it down. Or, when you have it at the dealer for the mount replacement, have them check it out since they'll probably have it up on a lift.

OP
OP
MickeyD

MickeyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the input!

So I just had the truck up and as best I can tell, the front hub is okay, the front brakes are not locked up, and the CV axle looks okay. I didn't immediately think of those, as it's had new front hubs in the past 10,000 miles and it had a new front driver caliper about 1,000 miles ago.

Nothing seems loose in there, at least as best I can tell.

I have been reading about the motor mount, and I've learned about the idea of the H3 mount. If the truck were 2WD, I'd probably do both motor mounts myself and go that route. I'll have to talk with my dealership about doing the H3 swap; there's a chance they'd go ahead and do that.

I'll definitely have them check things out while it's on the lift, though.

I was just asking here first in case this noise and behavior is a known thing.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be the front differential itself ... bad news...
Get both front tires up and spin both sides both ways..
I'd think you'd find some sort of noise/rubbing at that point.
Then take the wheels off and really check out the brakes well.
The inside pads could be toast if you have an underlying issue with
a caliper or the caliper mount slides

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu