Grinding/Clicking noise during hard acceleration or hard cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would check for a broken stud at the exhaust manifold at the head. I would also get the motor mounts inspected.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check for a broken stud at the exhaust manifold at the head. I would also get the motor mounts inspected.

I just replaced with a Hummer H3 mount on driver side few months ago. I dont see the engine jumping but will do the motor mount tests. Regarding exhaust, you think the exhaust is moving? I'm glad you not even thinking axle or suspension.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My next guess is the front axle or transfer case inspection. The exhaust is not moving but if the mount studs are broken where the manifold is bolted to head, the exhaust leaks out and causes noise. Is more noticeable when accelerate.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would bad axle or transfer case make that sound no matter when you accelerate? If so, maybe we can eliminate because it doesnt happen when truck is already moving at a descent speed.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It always depends on the severity and source of the problem. It is an AWD after all.

When was the last time those fluids have been serviced?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It always depends on the severity and source of the problem. It is an AWD after all.

When was the last time those fluids have been serviced?

Front diff? I'm thinking around 30-50k miles but the transfer case was done under 20k miles ago. I rarely ride in AWD or even Auto. I normally drive in 2WD and thats how i'm driving in the video.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Drivers side axle. excessive play? broken/fractured cage allowing one of the ball bearings to migrate. You should be able to see some evidence of rubbing/movement on whatever component is making that noise. are you sure the trans mount is good? also the awd shaft to front diff? which is right under your seat, when it makes the sound can you feel it hit the chassis?

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I would think if something is rubbing when the weight trsnsfers, you'd think you would see some evidence. Have you given it a good lookover (under) with a jack lifting the front a little to duplicate the weight transfer?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side axle. excessive play? broken/fractured cage allowing one of the ball bearings to migrate. You should be able to see some evidence of rubbing/movement on whatever component is making that noise. are you sure the trans mount is good? also the awd shaft to front diff? which is right under your seat, when it makes the sound can you feel it hit the chassis?

Yes I can feel it under me or in the feet area. I will check further and update you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh