Got the dreaded slow tank fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any check valves in the tank. That is not to say there isn't one, I just have never heard of it or seen one.

I don’t see how a check valve could be used in the tank, how would the vapors travel from the tank to the canister if they did that?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Uh,.... Where are the vent tubes?? I had my '05 Yukon XL vent system re-done completely because of this problem, but sometimes it still does it..... ( I was at a Shell station last week and it filled up fine)

( So, the filling stops..... sometimes ..... ( Maybe it is the specific station??)

Beats me....

The vent tubes all attach to the charcoal/vapor canister.

One from the tank to the canister.
One from the canister to the purge valve on the intake manifold.
One from the canister to the vent valve solenoid above the spare tire.

Unhook the first one I mentioned from the canister and pressurize the fuel tank with air via the fuel filler neck using a blow gun and a rag to seal around the filler neck at the gas cap. Be careful when doing this as the tank is plastic and you can actually watch it expand when you pressurize it, you don't want to over pressurize it and possibly damage it.

Unhook the second one from the canister and also from the purge valve at the intake and use compressed air to blow through the line from the engine towards the canister.

It helps to have two people that way one of you can operate the blow gun while the other holds a finger or thumb over the open end of the lines where they normally connect to the canister. This helps to build a little pressure up and then when you remove the thumb/finger it allows it to relieve pressure abruptly which helps to expel the pellets.

This method should clear most of the pellets from the lines.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I don’t see how a check valve could be used in the tank, how would the vapors travel from the tank to the canister if they did that?

Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. I can't say with 100% certainty that GM didn't stick one in somewhere in one of the lines, as there are other lines on the tank that connect the front and rear of the tank and are Y-ed together, but it just seems unlikely.

I will try to look in the factory service manual and see if I can find anything.

OP
OP
09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next step before I change the tank is to pressurize the current tank. Here is my logic; gonna disconnect the vent lines 1st to see if the tank will pressurize that way. If so, then something in the tank is plugged. If not, then IDK WTF is going on.

OP
OP
09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unhook the first one I mentioned from the canister and pressurize the fuel tank with air via the fuel filler neck using a blow gun and a rag to seal around the filler neck at the gas cap. Be careful when doing this as the tank is plastic and you can actually watch it expand when you pressurize it, you don't want to over pressurize it and possibly damage it..

So, when I do this and the tank does NOT vent then there's the blockage and changing the tank is a possibility.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Subscribed. Thank you for all the documentation. My 09 is doing the same. Here in Cali it’s even worse on the fill ups as the nozzles have vapor recovery that shut off flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear I'm about to burn the mf'er to the ground!!! LOL, not really tho

Reaction score
Subscribed. Thank you for all the documentation. My 09 is doing the same. Here in Cali it’s even worse on the fill ups as the nozzles have vapor recovery that shut off flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We used to have those vapor recovery hoses over the nozzles here since 1987, but got rid of them in 2012 or 2013.

All cars and light trucks built since 2006 have vapor recovery systems built in to capture vapors before they reach the nozzle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm done. Nothing works! Tank vents, line from canister to solenoid on engine is clear and still take 1/2 gallon of fuel (different station) and pump shuts off. However, it did take a little more fuel this time and did not backsplash fuel everywhere.

Tried taking vent from tank to canister off, air flowed right thru, no blockage.

So I guess next step is to get this used tank for $25 and see if that works. If not, gotta drop $700 for a new one.

And I did check the solenoid, put power to it and it clicks.f

I'm at a loss. F'ing sucks!!!!

South Louisiana heat and 20 minute fillups will not be a good combo!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11