Good cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm building what is basically an iron block ls2 to go into my 03 Tahoe (LQ9 short block, 799 heads). Wondering what would be a good cam to put in it? I've always wanted to use the chopacabra cam from tsp but I wanted to get second opinions from people that have more experience in this field than me. What would be a good cam to make 400-450hp and sound pretty good for that short block/heads combo? Truck has a fully built 4l60e with trucool 40k, 4.10s with a trutrac, new transfer case, and fully rebuilt front diff. I will be running the stock intake manifold. Will consider getting heads/intake mani ported. Will also be running speed Engineering 1 3/4 long tube headers.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking 400 wheel or 400 crank? With just long tubes and a good tune a stock LQ4 should be close to 400 crank.

How to make 400hp with a gen 3 truck engine

jump to 11:40 for the 6.0 stuff. Now this is an LQ4 and with headers and a good tune ( and minus accessories) it made over 400hp. So a higher compression LQ9 could do it with accessories. An LQ9 with 799 heads making even more compression should definitely be able to do that. So just the stock cam and go drive.

Now an aftermarket cam that makes more low-end torque is going to create higher cylinder pressures in the lower revs. Combine that with higher compression and you have a recipe for detonation. So premium will be required. So maybe get bigger injectors and tune for e85.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
35thpewterz