GMC Rear Axle Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Group,
RPO and Axle type codes came from crawlpedia. Anybody know why there is a code for "Positraction" and one for "Positraction Rear" ? My 1997 Yukon 4wd has the G80 or Positraction code. The other image is my codes: ... Thanks!

I also gave it the real test. On my shops slick concrete, I blocked the front wheels and eased into the gas. Two beautiful skid marks :)

GMCodes.png

YukonCodes.png

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The G80 is the only one that GM offered in these, so the list may be pulling from other models.
Believe it’s an Eaton M locker which GM calls the gov-lock.
Is this what some derisively refer to as 'Gov-Bomb'?
Read many stories in the 2000s about how this type of limited-slip tends to fail badly when it finally does.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s more of a hybrid between the two - an automatic locking differential?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding - PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong! - is it's NOT a limited slip differential, really.
According to the manual, the differential is simply open, UNLESS the rear wheel speed difference exceeds 100RpM.
Once the rear wheel speed difference exceeds 100RpM, it's locked.

1. Don't understand how or why it unlocks. just know that it does, eventually.
2. '100RpM' is almost certainly an oversimplification.
If one wheel spins 101RpM, and the other spins 001RpM, it should lockup.
If one wheel spins 2000RpM, and the other spins 2100RpM, does it lockup or not?

Would prefer a torque-sensing differential ...

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a video someone did showing the lockup with the spider gears. I suspect it’s all those little moving parts that cause the headache if they grenade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo