Attempting a G80 Axle Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m610

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My first post here.

Last week while driving (1996 Tahoe) to Petaluma I suddenly got a noise out of the right rear that sounded to me like a bearing. I still haven't taken anything apart, waiting to learn more about what I am getting myself into. It should be an adventure.

If it is the axle bearing, it is available from Rock Auto as part of a kit that includes an axle.

Link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,tahoe,5.7l+v8,1061356,drivetrain,axle+shaft,10439

The list is a bit confusing for me and I'm not sure if these are all the same part, just with different descriptions.

The relevant RPO Code for my Tahoe is G80, which translates as limited slip/positraction.

Can I get any advice on which Rock Auto part is the right one, and has anyone done this job before. I have the service manuals and it talks about several specialized tools for getting the bearing and seals in and out.

Thanks in Advance, Mike

JackFox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, G80 is a locker, or locking differential. No slip! But you still need LS fluid.

I do not know, but gonna throw in my idea here: there are three axles. One is for a 5-lug. The other two are 6-lugs. So now it is down to two options. It comes down to the diameter of the outisde of the bearing. So the axle tube is the difference it seems. Someone will probably be able to give a precise answer. But if not, go measure it

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, G80 is a locker, or locking differential. No slip! But you still need LS fluid.

I do not know, but gonna throw in my idea here: there are three axles. One is for a 5-lug. The other two are 6-lugs. So now it is down to two options. It comes down to the diameter of the outisde of the bearing. So the axle tube is the difference it seems. Someone will probably be able to give a precise answer. But if not, go measure it
No special additives used in the G80 govlock differentials used in these trucks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first post here.

Last week while driving (1996 Tahoe) to Petaluma I suddenly got a noise out of the right rear that sounded to me like a bearing. I still haven't taken anything apart, waiting to learn more about what I am getting myself into. It should be an adventure.

If it is the axle bearing, it is available from Rock Auto as part of a kit that includes an axle.

Link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1996,tahoe,5.7l+v8,1061356,drivetrain,axle+shaft,10439

The list is a bit confusing for me and I'm not sure if these are all the same part, just with different descriptions.

The relevant RPO Code for my Tahoe is G80, which translates as limited slip/positraction.

Can I get any advice on which Rock Auto part is the right one, and has anyone done this job before. I have the service manuals and it talks about several specialized tools for getting the bearing and seals in and out.

Thanks in Advance, Mike
Swapping out a rear axle bearing is definitely doable. About the only specialty tool you would need is a slide hammer to remove the bearing and seal. You can use a large socket or a bearing install tool to put the new bearing and seal back in.

I would be surprised if you need a new axle. Depending on if there is a slight west groove from the seal, you can get a repair bearing if needed, which relocated the seal slightly do it rides on a different spot.

One thing, Before you pull the cover off your differential, make sure you can get the fill plug out.

As for the type of gear oil, go with what is spec’d out in your owners manual. That being said, a couple guys here have done a ton of research and found that the G80 locking differential does not require any Limited Slip additives.