GM Warranty on New Crate Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mutch8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone
First time poster. I've been browsing around for a while now.

Wondering how the warranty is for a new GM crate engine? I'll fill everyone in on the back story.

I bought a used 2007 Tahoe LTZ back a few weeks ago. The truck was owned by a guy who had lots of vehicles around. So the Tahoe had low miles on it. Under 70K. The truck is in near mint condition. The only problem; it started having motor trouble.
He couldnt tell me much about the troubles, except cylinder #7 had no compression. He had a new tahoe on order and his dealer wouldn't take it on trade and/or offered him next to nothing for it. As a result, I got a steel. (I hope :s) I trailered the tahoe home with the expectation of dropping a different engine in it.

I have several great mechanics in my family that were eager to look at the truck and diagnos it. And after lots tinkering, and some false hope of lifters and a bent push rod he comcluded it was the cam shaft. I looked at new cam shafts, used engines and a new engine from GM.
Everything was going to cost $3k+ and the GM crate engine was $4.2k with 3 year 100,000mile warranty on parts and labour. I figured the little bit more would be worth it for the warranty on the engine.

Did the motor swap. Everything went perfect. Took 14 hours and it run just like new. I got it back the week before Christmas and wasn't able to drive it much. I was suppose to change the oil again at 300 miles. I only had about 70 miles on it by Christmas morning. When going to visit family, it didn't want to start after sitting all night. (which it had been having trouble starting after sitting awhile) after the third attempt it did catch, but there is a very loud knock. Much worse then the original engine ever sounded.

I left the next day to go on vacation to visit the in laws. (20 hour drive, Driving my '15 malibu)
My cousin took the truck to his shop on Monday to look at it for himself.
He thinks there is something siriously wrong with the internals of the new engine. He doesn't want to start tearing it apart because there is now warranty on the engine.
He is going to take it too the dealer tomorrow and let them take care of it.

Just wondering if any of you have ever had an experience similar to this? What can I expect from the dealer?

I did check with the dealer before I got my cousin to do the swap and they said that it would be fine and fully covered with their warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84