2022 Tahoe - 12k Manufacturers Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my vehicle in the shop for various things and one of those was a gap in one of the panels on the liftgate. Nothing major, but definite gap on the left where there is none on the right side.

The technician confirmed the gap and compared to other vehicles where no gap was noted but he said it didn't sound like something GM was going to try to fix given the vehicle has more than 12k miles on it. Is that actually a thing? I thought the vehicle had a 36k bumper-to-bumper? Has anyone heard of a 12k mile limit for fixing defects?

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually spoke with a manager there and asked for where she's seeing the 12k mile warranty period for this. She said it's probably not in the owner's manual and that it's in her GM policy manual under "adjustments" and this panel on the lift gate is just held on by double-sided sticky tape and is considered an adjustment and not mechanical and thus has a 12k mile warranty. I pressed on just getting documentation to read in for no other reason that I like to be informed on what I've got and how much longer I've got it, but she wasn't able to produce any documentation as she said she couldn't supply me with their GM policy manual. So... who knows

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the problem? Sounds like you should call GM, ask for clarification from them and/or try another dealer. The language in the OM WalleyeMike posted is pretty clear that everything is covered related to materials or workmanship during the bumper-to-bumper period.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually spoke with a manager there and asked for where she's seeing the 12k mile warranty period for this. She said it's probably not in the owner's manual and that it's in her GM policy manual under "adjustments" and this panel on the lift gate is just held on by double-sided sticky tape and is considered an adjustment and not mechanical and thus has a 12k mile warranty. I pressed on just getting documentation to read in for no other reason that I like to be informed on what I've got and how much longer I've got it, but she wasn't able to produce any documentation as she said she couldn't supply me with their GM policy manual. So... who knows
I would start w/ the Service Manager, if that is who you talked to, ask for the Sales Manager to see if they will make it right. If not, as for the dealer General Manager.
If none of that works, tell the Dealer GM, and his staff that you intend to file a complaint w/ General Motors...that should get them to move.

Might not hurt to grab your Warranty manual and flip to the page, and tell them you don't understand how this is not a "defect in materials or workmanship."

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the GM rep we used to hear from? In remember several posts a while back where his opinions were helpful. Unless you are on an island, I would check with another dealer or contact the BBB and someone from GM will be calling you.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the problem? Sounds like you should call GM, ask for clarification from them and/or try another dealer. The language in the OM WalleyeMike posted is pretty clear that everything is covered related to materials or workmanship during the bumper-to-bumper period.

I do have a pic but doesn't do much good. I'm taking it back for other issues in a few weeks and they're going to gather their own pics then and send to GM. But yeah, I agree regarding the language in the warranty booklet. I'm fairly certain she was just feeding me some bs in hopes that I'd say "ok" and move on with my life because when I pressed her about where I could read about this 12k adjustment warranty and what it included (I was honestly just curious to know what's covered and when if not under the normal 36k mile warranty) and instead of simply telling me where I can read the details about the warranty she just said she'd take pictures when the vehicle came in and send them off to GM. It's entirely possible there is in fact a 12k "adjustments" warranty, but I've thus far been unsuccessful in finding reference to it and if there was one, then I can't imagine they'd agree to send it to GM to try to get it fixed when I'm at about 22k miles currently. At that milage, I'm well past 12k and thus even if there was an issue, GM would just tell me to pound sand anyway.

I would start w/ the Service Manager, if that is who you talked to, ask for the Sales Manager to see if they will make it right. If not, as for the dealer General Manager.
If none of that works, tell the Dealer GM, and his staff that you intend to file a complaint w/ General Motors...that should get them to move.

Might not hurt to grab your Warranty manual and flip to the page, and tell them you don't understand how this is not a "defect in materials or workmanship."

Thanks. Sound advice and pretty much what I did with the manager I spoke which who I believe is a service manager. To her credit, she was very nice about it and I was doing my best to not sound frustrated by the whole situation. She's going to take pics next time I come in and forward them to GM to see what's next. She basically said this panel is just held on by double-sides tape and if we take it to a collision center for them to repair and they take the panel off then it's likely it will never be back on the same and may even make it worse. She said if GM were to replace the part then they've got to get the part, try to match paint, etc. and she guaranteed me the paint would never match given the vehicle is two years old and she didn't want me to have that additional nagging thing to worry about.

Where is the GM rep we used to hear from? In remember several posts a while back where his opinions were helpful. Unless you are on an island, I would check with another dealer or contact the BBB and someone from GM will be calling you.

Haven't seen a GM rep around, but admittedly I'm not here a ton. That would definitely be helpful if they chimed in with more insight.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this panel is just held on by double-sides tape and if we take it to a collision center for them to repair and they take the panel off then it's likely it will never be back on the same and may even make it worse. She said if GM were to replace the part then they've got to get the part, try to match paint, etc. and she guaranteed me the paint would never match given the vehicle is two years old and she didn't want me to have that additional nagging thing to worry about.
Regardless of how it is "held on" seems like it can be removed...new double sided adhesive applied, and it reinstalled.

For kicks, I would stop in at a reputable body shop and ask their opinion. These things do get rear ended; and I guarantee that body shops can repair them back to looking factory new.

Also, a decent body shop can match the paint...else every car on the road that was in an accident would be a patchwork of colors.

Sounds to me like the reality is: dealer won't make much money, if any, on fixing it...so they are trying to dodge you...pains me how many people don't have access to good service at a good dealership. You might try the old quote that my dealer has hanging in their service department on this lady: "A salesman sells the customer their first vehicle; the service department sells every one after that."

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how it is "held on" seems like it can be removed...new double sided adhesive applied, and it reinstalled.

For kicks, I would stop in at a reputable body shop and ask their opinion. These things do get rear ended; and I guarantee that body shops can repair them back to looking factory new.

Also, a decent body shop can match the paint...else every car on the road that was in an accident would be a patchwork of colors.

Sounds to me like the reality is: dealer won't make much money, if any, on fixing it...so they are trying to dodge you...pains me how many people don't have access to good service at a good dealership. You might try the old quote that my dealer has hanging in their service department on this lady: "A salesman sells the customer their first vehicle; the service department sells every one after that."

Yeah, she said GM may approve me going to a collision center where they'd just remove the panel and replace the adhesive and reapply it. But of course, she kept insisting that in doing that it may make it worse. She also kept insisting "it's not that bad currently" which I actually agree with. It's not that bad, but to be if I pay $65k for a brand new vehicle, it should be flawless. Don't think that's too much to ask really. But dropping by to ask someone is probably a good idea.

I don't know if it was the whole covid years and production getting screwed up, but I'll say I've been totally unimpressed with Chevy quality control on a lot of things on this vehicle. A lot of items feel cheaply made to me. Some buttons are tactile to press and others feel like cheap plastic. As much as I love the vehicle itself, it's going to be hard for me to buy another one.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically they are correct according to their limited warranty. However a good dealer would get this done. I would let them know that in a firm not jerky way.

I am fortunate living in a small town where our dealer bends over backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar