GM better come up with something better than their current engine lineups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the current 6.2l make 420hp@5600rpm and 460tq@4100rpm?

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear America where they compared the top 3 selling trucks. Chevy, Ram, and Ford, and they preferred the Chevy and Ram with the big V8s over the Ford with the turbo V6.

Maybe GM should make a turbo or supercharged 6.2l as an available option!!
The 6.2 is the EXACT longblock for the Camaro LT1 just with different intake, exhaust and tuning. It is a heck of an engine....it makes 455 hp and 460 ft lbs in the Camaro.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the current 6.2l make 420hp@5600rpm and 460tq@4100rpm?

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear America where they compared the top 3 selling trucks. Chevy, Ram, and Ford, and they preferred the Chevy and Ram with the big V8s over the Ford with the turbo V6.

Maybe GM should make a turbo or supercharged 6.2l as an available option!!
It's very likely the next 6.2 regular production truck motor will be supercharged. Calloway and Lingenfelter have been doing it for GM and offering full warranties for over a decade.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to be staring yall right in the face...lol
the only thing thats going to compare to a diesel as far as low rpm torque is going to be an electric motor

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
All this obsession about torque? What’s the use of a ten speed transmission then?

Just give me the HP and I’ll make some torque with it. :cool:

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to be staring yall right in the face...lol
the only thing thats going to compare to a diesel as far as low rpm torque is going to be an electric motor
Thats why that I-Force Max engine with the electric motor between the engine and transmission has such an awesome torque curve. This entire frame and body along with the engines are totally new so I will be waiting a tad too see if they have any issues. I don't want too get burned with another lemon like my 2021 Tahoe.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a lot to learn about life cycles (auto manufacturing wise). Despite all the hype from the America hating reviewers, Hondas and Toyotas aren't all that.

I've owned GMs first V6 turbo engines, carbureted and fuel-injected models and loved them but would never put such a combination in a truck as durability will suffer. Just look at the youtube videos on those twin turbo F-150s. No thanks.

The old Sequoia had a pathetic payload capacity and a chassis/driveline more akin to a 2500 than a 1500 and even then was still not impressive. One has to peel back the layers to reveal reality with these things.

GM spent heavily on these clean sheet trucks and will likely introduce new or uprated engines in a year or so. Or, if their CEO gets her way, she will make them all battery powered.
Having driven years for a rental car company after I retired from the FD I will say the Toyotas and Hondas were rock solid and never saw the dealership much. In fact it was not uncommon too still have both Honda and Toyota vehicles going strong in the rental fleet well past 50,000 miles. The GM, Ford and Chrysler products were always at the dealerships for warranty service and recalls. I don't want too jinx myself but my Honda Pilot has over 80,000 miles and is 9 years old. It has never been to the dealership except for an airbag recall. My GM vehicles seem too average a recall every four months or so. Consumer Reports tests lots of brands and the ones with the higher score seem to be non Ford, GM and Chrysler brands. Many of the highest rated rides are built in the USA regardless of the brand. I love GM and still own three of them but their quality as of late has gone down the pooper.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Toyota 2.2 was a known sludge maker of an engine. Not to say they weren't great engines. But I saw plenty of them require new cams.

I have 166k on my 6.2 Denali. Other than some clatter on start it runs like a top.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having driven years for a rental car company after I retired from the FD I will say the Toyotas and Hondas were rock solid and never saw the dealership much. In fact it was not uncommon too still have both Honda and Toyota vehicles going strong in the rental fleet well past 50,000 miles. The GM, Ford and Chrysler products were always at the dealerships for warranty service and recalls. I don't want too jinx myself but my Honda Pilot has over 80,000 miles and is 9 years old. It has never been to the dealership except for an airbag recall. My GM vehicles seem too average a recall every four months or so. Consumer Reports tests lots of brands and the ones with the higher score seem to be non Ford, GM and Chrysler brands. Many of the highest rated rides are built in the USA regardless of the brand. I love GM and still own three of them but their quality as of late has gone down the pooper.
My best, most memorable, cars were the ones those commies at Consumer Reports hated the most. I quit taking them seriously in the 1980s as those guys favored anything not American. If they had their way, we'd be driving Trabants and Ladas.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best, most memorable, cars were the ones those commies at Consumer Reports hated the most. I quit taking them seriously in the 1980s as those guys favored anything not American. If they had their way, we'd be driving Trabants and Ladas.
Same here... I've owners 2 Jaguars now, Who would EVER buy one of those? Best Warranty and Maintenance plan in the industry... Both have been solid and 100% better service than any GM dealership. PU and delivery with loaner at home for ANY issue, even if it would need a flatbed...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also stopped reading to Consumer Reports back in the 80's as well. It wasn't because I had any issue with them personally, but I just found that what Consumer Reports and many of their subscribers claimed to be important, simply were not important to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts