GM better come up with something better than their current engine lineups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a couple guys that are running those new 2022/23 Toyotas on the Mt Evans Loop (for a testing company). They hate them. Always hunting for gears, never knows what it needs to do. They arent allowed to manually shift them, as they cant interfere with the datalogging.

Maybe they will get a programming right when it gets to production, but right now... :badidea:

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know a couple guys that are running those new 2022/23 Toyotas on the Mt Evans Loop. They hate them. Always hunting for gears, never knows what it needs to do. They arent allowed to manually shift them, as they cant interfere with the datalogging.

Maybe they will get a programming right when it gets to production, but right now... :badidea:

What exactly is the Mt. Evans Loop? Been up near there to hike Hells Hole.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
My best, most memorable, cars were the ones those commies at Consumer Reports hated the most. I quit taking them seriously in the 1980s as those guys favored anything not American. If they had their way, we'd be driving Trabants and Ladas.
Now, tell us what you *really* think. ;)

I’m on the same page. Most of my vehicles would get “canceled “ if those bleeping worrywarts had their way.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fireman591 im curious... have you actually driven a Ford with the “ecoboost” engine? Like a full size? We had two limited package expedition ELs back in October up in Salt Lake City as rentals when I was with my best friends parents. I’m sorry but a full size long wheel base suv with a V6, even though it’s turbo charged, is just not sufficient. A vehicle weighing in as much as the expedition EL does, needs 8 cylinders. I rode in both and drove one, and they were absolutely snails!

Now with that being said, the ecoboost engines are great in the smaller platforms like the sedans, the small crossover escapes and the even the explorers. I’ve driven a couple of higher end package explorers for customers over the last couple years, and to say their quick on their feet is an understatement! But that’s because they weigh in quite a bit less than even a standard wheel base expedition. Does GM have some improving to do with their current gen platforms, absolutely!! I don’t argue with that. But V8s, in my opinion, are the answer for full size SUVs and pickups!

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... I've owners 2 Jaguars now, Who would EVER buy one of those? Best Warranty and Maintenance plan in the industry... Both have been solid and 100% better service than any GM dealership. PU and delivery with loaner at home for ANY issue, even if it would need a flatbed...
Hertz has some Jaguars in the fleet and i have driven long distances to pick them up for our customers. I will say being in a Jaguar you can tell it is way above everyone when it comes to quality and a solid feel.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fireman591 im curious... have you actually driven a Ford with the “ecoboost” engine? Like a full size? We had two limited package expedition ELs back in October up in Salt Lake City as rentals when I was with my best friends parents. I’m sorry but a full size long wheel base suv with a V6, even though it’s turbo charged, is just not sufficient. A vehicle weighing in as much as the expedition EL does, needs 8 cylinders. I rode in both and drove one, and they were absolutely snails!

Now with that being said, the ecoboost engines are great in the smaller platforms like the sedans, the small crossover escapes and the even the explorers. I’ve driven a couple of higher end package explorers for customers over the last couple years, and to say their quick on their feet is an understatement! But that’s because they weigh in quite a bit less than even a standard wheel base expedition. Does GM have some improving to do with their current gen platforms, absolutely!! I don’t argue with that. But V8s, in my opinion, are the answer for full size SUVs and pickups!
I would never own a Ford. They hands down gave us the most trouble in our rental car fleet. As far as the I-Force max Toyota engine. You are comparing apples to oranges. Keep in mind this is a hybrid set up and a beast at that. 437hp and 583 lb-ft of torque!!!!!! The torque curve is pretty flat also thanks to the EV motor between the engine and transmission. Test drive one when available and I'll bet you will change your opinion of the V8s ruling the big suvs. I can't wait too test drive one of these. The engine is built in Alabama and the vehicle in Texas. It is a win win and protects American jobs :) Still not ruling out the 3.0 diesel from GM even though it is a total snail off the line.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never own a Ford. They hands down gave us the most trouble in our rental car fleet. As far as the I-Force max Toyota engine. You are comparing apples to oranges. Keep in mind this is a hybrid set up and a beast at that. 437hp and 583 lb-ft of torque!!!!!! The torque curve is pretty flat also thanks to the EV motor between the engine and transmission. Test drive one when available and I'll bet you will change your opinion of the V8s ruling the big suvs. I can't wait too test drive one of these. The engine is built in Alabama and the vehicle in Texas. It is a win win and protects American jobs :) Still not ruling out the 3.0 diesel from GM even though it is a total snail off the line.
Expect that I wasn’t comparing the Toyota in my comments.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expect that I wasn’t comparing the Toyota in my comments.
Good thing because the Toyota's 437hp and 583 lb-ft of torque from the I-Force Max engine blows away the Eco Boost. In fact those numbers are better than most V8s. just curious too see how this power train holds up. I grew up under the " There is no replacement for displacement" rule like many of us on here :) LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt